The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #9
siggyfreud

Re: Project "Ghost" - 1972 C10 Pro-touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
That printer is too cool man. Is the material expensive?
This specific material is. It's about $96 for a 750g roll of it. One bracket takes about 32g of it to make, so about $4-5 a bracket in print material.

Other materials like PLA are 1/5 that price, so I do all my prototyping in that.

There are other materials, like NylonX, that are a little more than half the price of what this bracket is in (PAHT-CF15), and should be 90% as good as this material I think, so I may switch over to that. I did take this bracket and throw it on the cement after assembly and it did jack to it.

Obviously PAHT-CF15 is way stronger than I need for this specific part, but I was just too excited to print with it. And I love the texture of the finished print. This material would be great for a lot of stuff though.

I did order some white Nylon (without carbon) as that is already very strong. And it will allow for easier painting. That's what I'd likely print a rear-view mirror bracket out of. That said, if I need more detail in it for the bracket I may swap over to tough PLA and a smaller print head to get more granular of a print. We'll see!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote