The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
cericd

In-Cab Gas Tank ARRRGH!

I recently had my carb rebuilt in my 1970 C10 and the guy recommended that I get a new gas tank since my tank was the original. I looked on the forum and saw that the Spectra (Canada) brand of tank was pretty well liked and it had good reviews on other websites. So, I ordered one from a local Autozone. When it arrived I noticed that it seemed well built and had the same weight as the original tank but the angle of the neck was off. I had read that that may be an issue and that it could be carefully massaged and realigned with a length of pipe so that's what I did. I very carefully pulled the neck down so that it would fit through the hole in the side of the cab. It still wasn't at the angle of the original tank but I figured it would work. Well, it must've created a hairline fracture at the point where the neck is soldered to the tank because it leaks gas at that area when I'm driving. So, I spoke with the people at Autozone and they ordered me another one which I compared to the original tank and the angle is still way off, I thought maybe the first one had been dropped on the neck during shipment but I guess it's a design flaw. So, it got returned to Autozone.

We have a local place that specializes in these old trucks so I went and got a tank from them, Counter Parts brand (Taiwan). The first thing I noticed with this tank is that it is much lighter. The front wall of the tank will actually flex if gently pressed. Also, it is stated to be a tank for 67-71 Chevy/GMC truck without EEC. Well, my gas cap fits but the neck is narrower than my original (which was not an issue with the Spectra tank) so I would need a new grommet and I had just replaced my original with one of the good ones from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. So, the Counter Parts tank is going back.

Can anyone recommend a brand of replacement in-bed tank that will fit without modification, takes the correct size 1970 gas cap and has the correct size neck for a 1970?

Here are some pics.

Spectra tank neck angle after being realigned to "fit" the truck. Still the wrong angle.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote