The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
jwinga

Fix or scrap? 69-70 Blazer

My grown son is considering this for a project. I’m not sure what advice to give.
It’s either a 69 or 70, 4x4, v8 350 or 307? 4barrel quadrajet(breather is gone)Auto, No AC , I didn’t notice if it had power steering or not, has a vacuum brake booster with drum brakes on front? ( Im not familiar with that) frame is good everything is under there, transfer case, drive shafts etc. spring hangers and associated hardware looks good. The wiring under the hood isn’t hacked up, radiator and core support looks good, inner fender wells and fire wall all intact. Still has the original AM radio.
Now the bad, inner and outer rockers, at least part of the front floorboard, looking in the back hatch I can see the ground through the briars growing up through the holes, I couldn’t get the driver’s side door open, when opening the passenger side door the whole quarter panel on that side moves around, I’m guessing the drivers side is going to be the same, I’m assuming it must be rusted out around the fender wells. There’s a bunch of crap in the back so I couldn’t see much back there. About the only serviceable sheet metal appears to be the hood and front fenders(rusted out at the very bottom), doors may be fixable, looks like everything else from the windshield back is mostly toasted.
The rear hatch has been broken around the right hinge and patched, the rear window is broken, there’s a small crack in the top above the windshield in the middle, there’s a couple of chips gone in the rain gutter over the doors.
He’s considering fixing it for a knocking around ride ( dirt roads on weekends and riding to the swimming hole) so it’s not going to be a restoration.
The mechanical things we can handle, it would have to have engine/ transmission I’m sure, then brakes and associated hardware and hoses, new oil and seals in the axles and transfer case, ball joints, king pins or whatever you want to call them, tie rod ends, drag link etc,probably convert to power disc brakes.
Aside from the mechanical things, the floors, rockers and fender wells at a minimum just to hold it together. He’s not concerned about paint or fixing the outside rust but, I’m not sure if it’s even feasible to fix the inside stuff without going on and doing the quarter panels too. Plus when we start digging, there’s no telling what else may come up.
The other good thing though is, it’s going to be cheap, like, really cheap but, at this point I’m not sure if free would be cheap enough.
What you think? I’m open to suggestions.
It was late this afternoon before we got there and got dark before I could give it a more thorough going over. We’re going back Thursday around lunch to look again and I’ll get more/better pics then.
jwinga is offline   Reply With Quote