The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
LT7A

Remember When Supercars Didn't Have Stripes?

Right off the bat, I'll say this is a nonsense topic to me. I'm not an aficionado of supercars but have no judgement for someone who is. Some of them have amazing performance and some of them are beautifully styled. I just don't have much interest in something that I could never afford and wouldn't buy if I could. But I was in "that" part of town for a meeting and saw a McLaren and a Ferrari, both with stripes all over and I laughed both times. The need to be noticed is so extreme. Driving a supercar with its outlandish styling isn't enough. "Just letting you know I would have noticed your car without the stripes". I'm an automotive enthusiast which means that I can find reason to pay attention to almost any segment of the market at some level. But as time goes by I have less and less interest in these cars. I see a widening gap between people who own specialty vehicles of any type because they enjoy them, and people who buy them to draw attention to themselves. I'm all for tasteful enhancement of any automobile, including stripes. If it wasn't for the stripes back in the 60s and 70s, how would people know you weren't driving your father's Oldsmobile, haha. But stripes all over a supercar? The McLaren is a legitimate super high performance automobile. But do the panels around the exhaust pipes really need an orange stripe? Nevermind the rear spoiler/wing that looks like you left your trunk open. I feel lucky to be happy driving a pickup truck.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-20-2022 at 09:55 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote