The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #1
JohnIL

Sound Proofing/Deadening The Cab?

I just finished installing a new stereo in my '65 C10. It sounds great when the truck is sitting still, but at highway speed, the road noise, drivetrain noise, and wind noise pretty much drown it out. I recently installed a very quiet exhaust system on the truck. At this point, the road noise is louder than the engine noise. I can turn up the stereo louder, but then I just have a cacophony of music clashing with the drone of the uninsulated truck cab.

So, I'm asking for advice on how to deaden the "metal box" effect, and to sound proof the cab as much as reasonably possible. I'm not looking for competition level sound quality, but I'd like to be able to enjoy some tunes while driving down the highway. While I'm at it, it would be nice to cut down on the heat transfer through the firewall and the floor pan.

When I pull the interior apart for rust repair, I intend to line the floor, firewall, rear cab wall with Kilmat. Then, I plan to install new jute and carpeting. In my son's 1983 El Camino, the Kimat helped to take some of the "ring" out of the metal panels, but it didn't really quiet down the interior as much as we had hoped. I'd like to do better with the C10.

The question is, what else can I do to help seal and deaden the cab?

What materials and techniques have others had success with? Are there any products out there that help with sound AND heat?

Are there other layers that I should add to the floor?

What's the best way to insulate/deaden the doors?

What about the roof? I hadn't planned to install a headliner, but if it will help quiet down the cab, I'm definitely open to suggestion.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

John

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=838676
JohnIL is offline   Reply With Quote