The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2023, 10:17 PM   #1
cris well

Center drag link question?

Hi. I have a 68 C10 short bed that's been converted to 5-lug disc-brakes with factory parts from a 71-72 C10.

For whatever reason, the previous owner didn't change the center drag link (still from the 68) and the outer tie-rod ends are too small for the 71-72 spindles and it keeps eating the rubber boots up because it slips too far up into the hole for the 71-72 spindles.

I know about the specialty tie-rod sleeves that allow 68 outers for inners, and 71-72 outer tie-rod ends to correct it and I'm gonna do it in a couple of weeks most likely.

However, my main question is -Would the mis-matched parts cause the steering radius to be way too much- meaning that when I try to turn it, it seems that I should have a much tighter turning radius than I do. It seems almost like I only have half or 2/3s of lock to lock steering that I should have.

I did unhook the center drag link from the steering box and turn the wheel one turn and reconnected the center drag and it helped somewhat but it still doesn't seem right to me. It's like I can't park it in a parking space without swinging it real wide like a long-bed extended cab or something, HaHa.
cris well is offline   Reply With Quote