The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2023, 10:49 PM   #1
Ledslinger

Wheel color 1962 K1000 GMC Suburban

My 1962 GMC K1000 Suburban with Deluxe (base level) trim, was originally ordered by the University of Missouri Geology Department, and used at their field camp in Wyoming. I was attending field camp there in 1978 when it was offered for sale in a silent auction. I won and am the second owner and very little on this truck isn't as orginal. The paint is original, except for the front left fender and hood replaced in a wreck at some point.

It has the 17.5" wheel option, and I have always assumed it was ordered that way. I inquired about wheel color on the 60-66 GMC forum and several responders thought the wheels should be white. I have cleaned and repainted several of the wheels over the years, and it is obvious to me they have never been anything other than black.

One responder to my wheel color thread suggested that maybe the original 15" or 16" wheels were replaced at some point with the 17.5" wheels since they are black. I suppose its possible that in an attempt to facilitate off road performance or ground clearance, a local dealer may have suggested replacing with the bigger wheels, and the set of replacement wheels werent white like factory installed ones. This is of course all speculation based on some vehemence that the wheels should be white.

My Suburban is very early 1962 production and possibly an optional wheelset didn't get painted white as maybe standard or later production wheels would have been.
Ledslinger is offline   Reply With Quote