The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Vic1947

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
When cars like this were new in the fifties that door gap was fine. Funny how they looked so perfect when they were new, back when matching numbers and inconsistent gaps didn't matter.
You are doing some great work on this car, and that a/c control is beautiful.
Ain't that the truth. Somewhere along the line, keeping up with the Jones'es became a national pastime. The first bodywork I ever did was using aluminum screen wire and Bondo to fix rust holes. Thought it looked positively professional way back then. My how things have changed.

Too early for a punch list and rather than focus on a plan, I've been settling for getting small stuff done. I keep telling myself it all has to be done eventually, but I'm leaving a lot of half done tasks in my wake. I did manage to get the brake leak fixed and now have working four corner discs. Cut and fit the hoses and spark plug wires and mounted the coil on the engine.

The e-brake came in from Jegs and I decided how to install it. Because of the work I did to the firewall, I couldn't use it for the forward mount. Had to make an angled bracket to bolt to the side of the cowl. There are fifteen bolts that hold it together and due to the tight spaces, it goes together like a Rubik's cube. Each bolt has to be installed in a certain way and in the correct order. But at least it's going to work. I machined the mounting pads for the remote trans cooler today and marked the location for the holes, but will have to finish up tomorrow. Keep having to order parts I forgot, which contributes to the "half fast" pace.

Speaking of parts, the tube grille and the halo headlights came in at the end of last week. Both look great. The lights will require some mods to the buckets as the locators don't match up, but that's an easy fix. Also received the billet knobs for the wiper and headlight switches and re-drilled them for the correct shaft size. Like I said, lotsa little stuff but it all adds up. I have to take a day tomorrow and put brakes on the Ranger. It failed inspection and I choked on the quote to fix it. Bought more stuff than they were going to replace and still came in at 25% of the cost.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Ain't that the truth. Somewhere along the line, keeping up with the Jones'es became a national pastime. The first bodywork I ever did was using aluminum screen wire and Bondo to fix rust holes. Thought it looked positively professional way back then. My how things have changed.

Too early for a punch list and rather than focus on a plan, I've been settling for getting small stuff done. I keep telling myself it all has to be done eventually, but I'm leaving a lot of half done tasks in my wake. I did manage to get the brake leak fixed and now have working four corner discs. Cut and fit the hoses and spark plug wires and mounted the coil on the engine.

The e-brake came in from Jegs and I decided how to install it. Because of the work I did to the firewall, I couldn't use it for the forward mount. Had to make an angled bracket to bolt to the side of the cowl. There are fifteen bolts that hold it together and due to the tight spaces, it goes together like a Rubik's cube. Each bolt has to be installed in a certain way and in the correct order. But at least it's going to work. I machined the mounting pads for the remote trans cooler today and marked the location for the holes, but will have to finish up tomorrow. Keep having to order parts I forgot, which contributes to the "half fast" pace.

Speaking of parts, the tube grille and the halo headlights came in at the end of last week. Both look great. The lights will require some mods to the buckets as the locators don't match up, but that's an easy fix. Also received the billet knobs for the wiper and headlight switches and re-drilled them for the correct shaft size. Like I said, lotsa little stuff but it all adds up. I have to take a day tomorrow and put brakes on the Ranger. It failed inspection and I choked on the quote to fix it. Bought more stuff than they were going to replace and still came in at 25% of the cost.
Very nice install on the E-Brake... that is a clean application...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
texasld

Quote:
I have to take a day tomorrow and put brakes on the Ranger. It failed inspection and I choked on the quote to fix it. Bought more stuff than they were going to replace and still came in at 25% of the cost.
I's outstanding what they will git you for. "You blinker fluid is empty, your muffler bearing is shot and worst of all, the air in your tires need to be changed from summer to winter air. Total will be $1,499.99 plus tax.
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
texasld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Gus350
68 C 10

Hey Vic the engine looks real good what type of distributor are you running, and is the coil mounted to the head. I'm trying to try and figure out how to best hide the coil on a 350.

Thanks Kevin

Kevin

"Life is Hard But its Harder when your Stupid"
John Wayne
68 C10
70 C20
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?t=602326#
Gus350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus350 View Post
Hey Vic the engine looks real good what type of distributor are you running, and is the coil mounted to the head. I'm trying to try and figure out how to best hide the coil on a 350.

Thanks Kevin
Hey Kevin, distributor is a Mallory Unilite and yes, the coil is mounted to the head. MSD recommends mounting it vertically, but I didn't have room for that and I've seen a ton of them laying flat from the factory. I originally planned to run a MSD box with a RPM selectable rev limiter. Built a mounting plate for all of it and even ball end milled the bottom to act as a quasi heat sink. I've abandoned that for now in the interest of getting the car on the road. Maybe later.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #6
jlsanborn

WOW! THAT is how you make a mounting plate friends. It's all looking superb Vic. Keep it coming!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:25 AM   #7
Elliot949

Quote:
Hey Kevin, distributor is a Mallory Unilite and yes, the coil is mounted to the head. MSD recommends mounting it vertically, but I didn't have room for that and I've seen a ton of them laying flat from the factory. I originally planned to run a MSD box with a RPM selectable rev limiter. Built a mounting plate for all of it and even ball end milled the bottom to act as a quasi heat sink. I've abandoned that for now in the interest of getting the car on the road. Maybe later.
As always Vic... Beautiful work... I wish I lived closer to you... I would love to be part of this build...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote