The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
SCOTI

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Thank you sir!!!! I really appreciate the help here. as simple as it seems, i just want to make sure. I have the complete bed on order now, but just want to make sure i check everything, air leaks, set up and such.
Really appreciate your time to respond.
No problem. I install my fittings into their respective parts first & then use the schrader set-up to test for leakage. I like to submerge bags & tanks under water for the testing. You only need ~25psi for the leak test.

Once you know your good there, it helps keep your scope for leak chasing to the remaining fittings. The 'T' set-up works good for adjusting the suspension during the build. I also have 'stands' built that are used under the frame rails so that if the air is purged from the system, the truck drops to 'ride height' & remains there. Mine are 4" tall @ the front cab mount; 5" @ the rears so just build the stands to the ride height designed for your application.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
No problem. I install my fittings into their respective parts first & then use the schrader set-up to test for leakage. I like to submerge bags & tanks under water for the testing. You only need ~25psi for the leak test.

Once you know your good there, it helps keep your scope for leak chasing to the remaining fittings. The 'T' set-up works good for adjusting the suspension during the build. I also have 'stands' built that are used under the frame rails so that if the air is purged from the system, the truck drops to 'ride height' & remains there. Mine are 4" tall @ the front cab mount; 5" @ the rears so just build the stands to the ride height designed for your application.
Just got my kit i ordered that has these fittings and 20' of extra hose. So i will be installing these this weekend. I am not sure how much will get done this weekend. I have a big day coming up .... the big 50 mark is reached on the 11th, so .... lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Just got my kit i ordered that has these fittings and 20' of extra hose. So i will be installing these this weekend. I am not sure how much will get done this weekend. I have a big day coming up .... the big 50 mark is reached on the 11th, so .... lol
Nothin to it. The 'day' comes & goes just like others. I hung out w/friends & nobody even knew (except me ).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Nothin to it. The 'day' comes & goes just like others. I hung out w/friends & nobody even knew (except me ).
LOL, ya my friends know all about and they like to remind me about it. The young ones i tell them i am just that much closer to retire, the older, i say the same thing highlighting that i am not there yet.

May 3-7 my "Older Brother" and my very close friend are all going to vegas. Biden 100 day mark is April 30, so hopefully we are mask free!!

On the truck front, i am doing the body work on the cab so it can go to primer and final body work then to paint.... finally. I will build a spray booth in my shop with plastic drapes, filters and box fan. Never done this but 1st for everything. I was planning to do plastic on the floor, but any recommendations from anyone on the booth idea(s)?
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
LOL, ya my friends know all about and they like to remind me about it. The young ones i tell them i am just that much closer to retire, the older, i say the same thing highlighting that i am not there yet.

May 3-7 my "Older Brother" and my very close friend are all going to vegas. Biden 100 day mark is April 30, so hopefully we are mask free!!

On the truck front, i am doing the body work on the cab so it can go to primer and final body work then to paint.... finally. I will build a spray booth in my shop with plastic drapes, filters and box fan. Never done this but 1st for everything. I was planning to do plastic on the floor, but any recommendations from anyone on the booth idea(s)?
Plastic on the floor helps w/over-spray covering the floor (important if you don't want your floor looking multi colored like a shop floor). But, building your tent so you have the ability to rinse/wet the floor before the start of spraying helps w/dust management which is a crucial part for the DIY @ home guy that doesn't have a legit booth. Plastic might inhibit the pre-spray regimen unless it's kept taught. Pick your poison.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG