The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #26
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Well, I had my dash pad out and decided to go ahead and get some 3.5" speakers for each side. So I went to Walmart and spent a whopping $5.47 per speaker...Hey, they sound better than what was in there.

My buddy told me that my stereo is cutting in and out on bumps (or slamming the door) because of the head unit, not a ground. I might have to find a cheap head unit as well.

I went to replace my 4x10's with the 6x9's I have, but the 4x10's looked and sounded fine, so I left them alone...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:26 PM   #27
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I get the idea that this truck is just a "go getter"; you use it to go get things and then it sits in the yard until you need to go get something else. Your approach to stereo equipment is fundamentally inexpensive and not really original, but it must work. If you want tunes then you should invest in another head unit, most definitely.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #28
greenhorn male

[QUOTE=Destructo]
I don't like cutting holes in things, so the only options I see are dash, kick panel pods, or behind the seat.

How did you install your head unit? Did you build a console and do you have a picture of it?

Has anyone used a powered bazooka tube woofer and what are your comments on it?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #29
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

So OK I cut my dash, to put the Alpine head unit and the EQ into it. They are mounted where the original radio was in my 84 Chevy. Then I sent the tunes to a active crossover unit to get the most out of the different bands. from there I took the bass to a Rockford Fosgate amp (under the driver's side of the seat)to run the two (2) 8" Bazzoka tubes behind the seat. The mid bass tunes went to another Rockford amp (mounted against the back wall of the cab, driver's side) and then to the 8" speakers in pods on the bottom of each door. The mid highs are sent to another rockford amp (under the passenger's side of the seat) and then to the 6" speakers and 2" tweets on the door panels where the plastic junk pockets used to be. The last set of highs go to the other side of the amp under the passenger seat and go to the two 2 1/2" speakers mounted in the middle of the dash under the original center speaker hole. All of this is capable of a steady 130 Db and is not bad for a pickup.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:47 AM   #30
greenhorn male

I thought maybe you had the center console. A while back someone posted a picture of the center console mounted CD player. I was thinking of incorporating a center console head unit/ cup holder combo. Nothing fancy, but functional. A while back I installed a CD player in the dash of a 85 suburban but the CD bezel didn't quite match the dash bezel shape.
I take it your bazookas are non-powered. I was wondering how the powered bazookas sound behind the seat as I was planning to install coaxials in the kickpanels powered by the head unit or 2 channel amp and just use powered bazookas behind the seat. I don't need window rattling power but just good clean sound.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:28 AM   #31
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

I just installed Alpine 3.5" (Model# SPS-080A) dash speakers in my truck...
They were 79.99 from crutchfield, and IMO they sound real good for such a small speaker. I def. reccomend them... they bolt right up, no drilling cutting or anything of the sort.
Attached Images

'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #32
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The powered bazookas will fit, but they usually don't have the response that the non-powered ones do with a good amp. I fit my bazookas in facing each other and placed them about 5" apart. Then I put a 6" PVC pipe coupling (cut in half) over the top of the tube ports. This forced the sound down under my seat and gave it the same effect as a ported speaker box. It drives the bass to a deeper sound and gets rid of the mid bass sound. All of the tubes and the cover have had carpet put onto them to keep them from rattling around.