The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Dash speaker question

First.
I don't know who's picture this is, nor who's truck. It was the only picture that I could find that would work for showing where I want the speakers.
Second.
I haven't found a single shop around here (DFW) that said they could do it.

What I am wanting to do is put my dash speakers in the location of the red dots. Has anybody done this?
I know the passenger's side is pretty safe for nothing under it, but what will I hit under the dash on the drivers side if I cut there?
I figure I would have to drill a hole and then use a pencil grinder to grind the hole out to the proper size as there really isn't enough room up there to do the cutting without removing the windshield (which I do not want to do).
I am only thinking of 3.5" speakers for up there. I just don't want my speakers on the columns or in the center of the dash.
Todd
Attached Images

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Hooter
My other Love

ust make some nice kick panels with some 5 1/4 components, way less work, and it will sond wayyyy better , having the speakers up o the dash like that is terrible for imaging, you can even buy kick panels pre made for speakers
  • 77 fully loaded silverado (back in the backyard for a little while longer)
  • 1980 BMW 320i (back in the garage finally)
  • 1981 f@*d f150 4x4 (Robert red ford) tried to kill me
  • 1972 Honda ct 90 trailbike
Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com AC/DC RULES!!!
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I think it would be impossible to do it without removing the windshield. I can bareley get my hand in there let alone a tool!!! If you have a friend and some rope the windshields in these trucks are easy! I think you would get some great sound with speakers in that area and with only 3.5" I don't think that there should be a clearance issue. Good luck!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
67chevemall

I would get interested in another spot first!
But if not take the dash pad off(10 small screws and pull the top out of the clips)
Then you can see the steel dash!
There is holes up there but I don't know if they are in the right spot!
just cut the holes and re assemble.
Good Luck!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
67chevemall

Peanuts!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Actually Hooter. The sound would be better with the speakers in the dash like that. A true "perfect" system would have the speakers in the dash corners, speakers in the kick panels, speakers behind you, and a center channel.
Well, our trucks already have the center channel. Put some 3.5's in the dash, 5.25's or 6.5's in the kick panels, and 6X9's behind you and it would be all done.
Throw in a sub or two to get the deep base and you're all set.
At the moment though I still have the gas tank behind me.
Sooo...
I will be going with the dash, kick panels, and 6X9's in the back edges of the doors.
As far as imaging goes, kick panels and doors would both put all the speakers down by my feet. This is good for mid's, but not for hi's. Putting the speakers in the dash will allow the hi's to bounce off of the window back at me.
Bass can be put anywhere.

67ChevyRedneck, how are the windshields easy? I've never removed one before so I don't know how to do it. And unfortunately I don't have a friend with some rope that would be available for this kind of job. Any tips on a one man removal would be great.

Todd
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 12-07-2004, 03:15 PM   #7
68CST327

Okay, this is how I'm thinking the speakers will be in my truck: 6.5's in kick panels, 1" tweeters mounted somehow on the dash corners, amp and single 8" or 10" sub under seat (not much sub needed for heavy bass in these truck cabs). They sell pre-made kick panels with molded speaker holes already (though I'd prefer custom made ones like 383Strokers!), the only problem now is figuring out some way to mount those little tweeters. Would be nice if someone could start selling something to mount them on the dash; I can't fabricate for s@#t.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:15 PM   #8
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

I would suggest pulling the paper glove box and removing the instument panel then you can see that nothing is in the way plus it may give you room to work, a "dremel" should get in there.As for pulling a windshield if you dont cut the rubber with a razor on the inside and remove you will be looking for a new glass.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've removed a couple windshields without breaking them. Start in the top corner, inside the cab, using a flathead screwdriver and lower the lip at the same time gently pushing out. Keep going around until the top is free, then free the sides then it just pops out. To put it back in, put the rubber around it. Put a thin rope in the rubber's channel all around the windshield so that the rope meets back at the center bottom of the rubber. Set the bottom in the lip on the truck. Pull the rope from the inside slowly while someone on the outside gently pushes in on the area your pulling on. Eventully the windshield will be in!!!! You DO need 2 people. If your squeamish about breaking the windshield, which could happen, call one of those mobile glass people, they should't charge you much for a removal/installation.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #10
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Todd, Someone had a good idea of mounting speakers in the dash a/c vent holes. This would work well if you have no a/c? I liked his idea but would remove the chrome vent ball and fabric over the face. There is a pic of it around here somewhere...
Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I don't have the vent holes there. My truck was factory no a/c.
Todd

IIOY???
Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

The vent housings would be easy to junkyard. There was a pattern posted for the holes. Still looking at my subscriptions....

Ok. Here is a link for the a/c cut out pattern.... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=128458

Still looking for a pic of the speaker installed.

Last edited by chickenwing; 12-07-2004 at 08:22 PM.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #13
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Here's a link to the speaker installed in the vent. Sorry can't figure out how to just post pictures allready posted. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=vent+speaker
Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 PM   #14
hotrodtroy

As far as punching holes a Greenlee holw punch set could get it done easily. They can be rented at Home Depot. All you need to get started is a 3/8" hole and the punches will do the hard work. All you apply is the muscle and rental cash.
Good Luck,
Troy

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 PM   #15
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

The Greenlee's are great. Make factory lookin holes where ever you need em. I did not know Home Depot rented em. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:28 AM   #16
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
The Greenlee's are great. Make factory lookin holes where ever you need em. I did not know Home Depot rented em. Thanks for the tip!
x2