The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
truckster

I need advice!

I've always planned a sb400 for my 70 3/4 ton; I even have the vortec heads and manifold and the headers sitting in my garage. Today someone offered me a 455 Olds with tranny for a really decent price. My problem is this: Do I go with max cubes and forget about mileage, or do I go for the sb and sacrifice some displacement to get better mileage? My wife is OK with the bb, but I know I'd have to fabricate some mounts and maybe massage the firewall to get it in there. I'd probably just put a comp cam in the 455, while I was planning to put more performance parts into the 400. I don't drive very far to work so it won't matter too much if it's my daily driver.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
Super Chevy

I think youll be more happy with the 455 , everbody has a small block chevy and i personally like to be differant. im sure Crazy Longhorn will have some 455 info for you.
Super Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 06:35 PM   #3
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

You should be able to get the 455 in without touching the firewall. I put one in a 69 GMC back in 1988. I did have to cut the frame rail in one spot so that I could get the oil filter on. Boy did I love the power but the problem I had was keeping transmissions in it and keeping drivelines. I like to spin the rearend just a tad too much.:p Personally if I was to have the option you do I would stick with the 400 as you then do not have to track all the parts down and make the modifcations that are needed when using the 455.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

When you start building, Chevs are cheaper. Im running a 383 in the longhorn at this time,but it sure dont have the tork that BB Olds had! I did a trim on the firewall around the heads when i set the Olds in,but should not be needed to fit the eng(mine was done for weight transfer). i saw a dyno sheet on one vey simular to mine,same cam, comp ratio,head work ect. At 9.7 comp ratio with a Jm 20-22 (engle cam ,496/512 lift, 224/230 dur @ .050),oversized valves,& bowl work the olds was worth 414 hp @ 5000, & 484 tork in the 2800-3000 range. They arent a high reving engine, but will pull a taller gear very happily(i ran 3.40 gears). this was a pretty mild setup that idled decent, & flat smoked tires! i cant say too much for milage tho.......that 800DP holley just kept sayin "feed me". dare to be different......crazy Al
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:01 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A 455 has gobs of torque, and if you get some freeway gears, your MPG may be better than with the small block.
The fabbing part isn't hard, but it'll take more than a weekend most likely. (If it is your ONLY ride to work, that becomes an an issue)
As for cutting the frame rail for oil filters... a filter relocation kit is cheap. I need to grab one for the caddy swap myself.
I saw a Buic 455 in one with no cutting, and my pontiac 350 (same external size as a Pontiac 455) and neither were cut.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:18 PM   #6
Zeke

I am thinking about the same thing. I have a 66 Delta 88 with a 425 in it that I got about 12 years ago for $150. Fell in love with that BB Olds, lots of torque and loves gas. Car is a rust bucket. Just bought a 69 C10 with a very tired 307 and 3spd and thinking about putting Olds in it. Olds engines are different. If you want info try this web site:

http://www.mondellotwister.com/
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:22 PM   #7
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

On another note I could almost swear that someone is making mounts for doing a swaps witha 455. Not sure but I thought I did see something about it once. Anyway not really hard to make you own.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:44 PM   #8
67 SS

You might need to drill steam holes in those Vortecs to use on a 400.
67 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:47 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally posted by 67 SS
You might need to drill steam holes in those Vortecs to use on a 400.
You WILL need them if it will be street bound.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:24 PM   #10
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I had a 67 with a 455 Olds in it. I hated to sell the truck when I did in 1986. It was a stock motor from a 74 Delta. It had gobs of torque, and ran as smooth as anything I've seen. I'm considering doing a swap with a Caddilac 500 engine for mine. I've been looking for a Motor. I have a good friend who has this setup. I've driven his truck many times so I know first hand what to expect. His is a 72 GMC 3/4 That is usually trailoring a race car to some place or other. The 500 Cad is awesome. This in combination with all of the talk on the board has me wanting one. Ironic as it is I have two 455 olds engines. Both of them Marine engines. I'm going to run a SBC in my boat from now on, so the olds stuff is up for grabs. I'f You're interested in some 455 parts PM me. I might be able to help you out.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:48 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

About 20 years ago I did three seperate swaps of 455's into 67-72 one tons.The trucks were all BB, auto.I got the complete car and pulled the engine and tranny for each swap.Since I was doing them for a wrecking yard I kept the car until I was done with each.The BB engines and B-O-P trannys bolted in with no alteration of anything.I simply used the best of whatever parts and I think the only things I bought were tune up items and maybe belts and hoses.
The one tons don't seem to be that much different but I have never taken a tape to them to see.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote