The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Question Do you have Hydraulic Clutch?

If so can you please post some pictures of the master cyl. and the slave cyl. installed.

I have thought about converting mine over but I want to see whats involved.

Do you have any complaints about the hydraulic clutch?\

Has anyone bought the hydraulic master cyl. and slave cyl. from LMC, is it any good?

Do you have a part number or price for a new setup from GM.

What was the first year these trucks had the hydraulic clutch?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Panzy! Grow some leg muscles! :p
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
AirMale

My 86 came originally with a new process 4speed and hydrolic slave cylinder. It was the first thing I junked and replaced with a T-400 and a double-hump crossmember. The slave cylinders are notorious for leaking and blowing seals which makes for brake fluid running down the inside fire-wall. Between the clutch, pressure plate and slave cyl., you could put a nice T-400 w/10" converter for under $1K. The nice part about going from the 4speed to the T-400 is the electric kick-down switch is on the gas pedal assembly and can be found at any junk yard. What ever you do think long term maintanence and power-handling. Good luck!
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
PHOENIX

Tom your right though. For those of you who never drove one of these trucks with a stick. They do have a tough clutch to push in, compared to others. Driving all day can give you a work out. So if you piss me off watch out for that left calf muscle cause it gets a regular workout I have just thought about going with hydro, because m linkage has given me a few problems in the past, nothing serious, just looking at my options.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
fanman

I must be stronger than I thought, I don't have any problems pushing my 83's clutch. My friend tried driving it, and said it was hard, but I don't think it's bad at all.

250 L6~3 on the floor

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:27 PM   #6
Ratpowerd67

my 86 4x4 has hydro clutch and i love it. ive NEVER had a problem with it and i would take it over the linkage or ANY auto trans. its easyer to push, its quiet, and no rigging the linkage for a body lift. if you do decide on going to hydro, the bellhousings , clutch fork, and pressureplate are different than the linkage type. if your truck is a 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton, i would do the th700r4.......
Ratpowerd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 02:04 PM   #7
PHOENIX

Its not super hard to push in, but sometimes my left knee hurts and Im not sure why. but when the knee hurts the pedal seems harder to push, never had a problem pushing in a hydro clutch though. One big reason I was going to get away from the linkage is noise. I get some squeeking noises. I think because the green plastic bushings are worn. Im gonna repace those and see how she acts.

Ratpowerd: Are you able to post any pictures?
Old 01-29-2003, 02:40 PM   #8
Tom
driving is in my blood

man whats up with you people? A th400, or 700r4? We dont need no stinkin automatics!!

700r4= he already tried that [ ]
th400= robs more power tehn a th350, and is still an automatic.

Eddie, I think a hydro clutch swap would be a good idea if your knee is giving you problems. I never had much of a problem, but I also rollerbladed about 20 miles a day when I was daily driving my 78, so my legs were in good shape.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
PHOENIX

Yeah I really dont know what it is. Most of the time my knee is perfectly fine. But some days (random) it sucks, and it always seems like on the day my knee hurts, is the day I spend driving all around town. No big deal. I think im gonna keep the linkage because I like the "feel" of everything with a linkage system.