The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #51
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: Safe tow rope options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
There were a lot of Coasties that had the wrapped in line (whatever you do, don't call it "rope"!!!!) bumper treatment. With your experience, you know what I talking about for towing.......

Oh, the one time I used the 2" I offered it to a bunch of guys. The one stuck was a HUGE mottha' of a Suburban. Not entirely sure exactly what it was, but the 38" Gumbo Monster Mudders were below ground level, as were the step rails on the 8" total lift vehicle. The towing vehicles were an F-350 oil burner with 38's, an IH 1 ton Travelall with 35's, and some monstrous K-5 Blazer with 44's that made the ground shake when it idled. They wrapped the line around something on the Burb, a clove hitch knot on the F-350's bumper, a clove hitch knot on the Cornbinder's bumper, and a double reef knot on the Blazer (Yes, I had over 100' of the 2"). I just stood back and watched as I would guess about 2,000ft/lbs of combined torque (all in 4WD-Lo) pulled up the slack.

All three gave everything they had to pull that Burb out, and that line didn't even groan. I REALLY kick myself on not grabbing that stuff off my Jeep. There's been several times I could have done with that stuff handy.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL

Last edited by Mickey_D; 02-23-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #52
BIGT05

ive used chains mainly i tried using a tow strap before but we used my moms z71 to to it AND BENT THE RUBBER HOOK AND IT DIDNT WORK TO GOOD

i fought the law and i won i fought the law and i won

94 ford ranger -granpas old truck can anyone say chevy smallblock

a man and his truck ahh its a beautiful thing

Ive got an idea Lets just poke it!!
BIGT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #53
special-K
Special Order

I never used a rope.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #54
watahyahknow

i use a repel rope the mountanclimberrope its slightly stretchy so it doesnt jerk the car when the rope slackens and tightens again .
i only pulled light european type cars with it though

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #55
projectking

I saw a nylon (yellow) tow strap with the hooks on it break and ruin my buddy's tailgate and back window, it also totaled the rear hatch on a Cherokee. From then on I have kept a chain in the truck instead of a tow strap.
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #56
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i use a repel rope the mountanclimberrope its slightly stretchy so it doesnt jerk the car when the rope slackens and tightens again .
i only pulled light european type cars with it though
I lived in a house with two other guys.when I was at work they pulled a truck out from behind the house using my unused Edelweiss 150' climbing rope.I was furious!!!I cut it up and threw it away so no one would make the mistake of climbing with it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #57
willis0107
67lwb

always remember when pulling out a vehicle to put something (coat ) over the chain or pull strap this way if it breaks it will start to slow down almost instantly and cause less of a chance of injury.
willis0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #58
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

chains are the best bet.

i've busted many a tow strap.

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #59
watahyahknow

a chain whont break as fast but if it breaks it has stored a lot of energy and might just hit you in the back of the head if it manage to go over the bed .

i still would go with a climbers rope but just make sure noone uses it to climb something or at least misstakes it for a climbing rope like keeping it 15 feet or so glue a flag in the middle and make a harphook on each end , its realy strong and kindof stretchy wish is great to counter the shocks of taking the slack out of the rope

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote