The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
68c10owner

late model engine swap?

I`m going to need a engine for my 90 pretty soon. I was just going to get another TBI 350 core and rebuild it but I started thinking about swapping in a later engine, either a vortec 5.7 or a 5.3 or 6.0 GEN III. I would really like a 6.0 in my blazer. I know someone makes either a spacer kit or a converter to adapt the early trans to the LS1 flexplates. Anyone swapped in a later engine able to offer any input? I will probably have to wait untill next year if the engine lasts that long but I wanted to get a idea of what I`m up against. My only reason for swapping in a later engine is to get a little more power. My old 99CK ex-cab had a vortec 5.0 and that thing ran really good. I know trhe vortec series would beeasier to swap in but the GEN III`s make more power. The only other mods may be headers and a air intake. This is a daily driver, nothing more.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
kc chief

Re: late model engine swap?

For an LS conversion, I'd look at this forum: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

The LS swap is awesome (someone on fullsize chevy forum has done it), but more costly. You will have to do more fab work, and you will have to make considerations for the accessory drives, AC, wiring, oil pan, etc. all things you wouldn't have to worry about with another swap. If you have the time and money, do it, they are awesome motors. If it were me I would stick with a Gen 1 motor, I would look at crate short blocks, or rebuild yours with a more aggressive cam, and bolt on vortec heads, and put on bigger injectors. Be sure to research headers if you haven't had them before.
kc chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
kc chief

of course, if you go vortec heads, you just need to get a vortec intake. All very simple stuff, and with the money you save from a LS swap, you can get really nice headers and a tune.
kc chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
68c10owner

My original plan was a TBI shortblock, vortec heads, HT383 roller cam and the GM vortec TBI intake. I`ve run headers before on my old chevelles and hot rods but not on a late model truck. I might just stick to my original plan and keep it simple