The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
1Quick_68Chevy

Smile Starting my homebuilt Disc conversion

I'm going to be starting the conversion to 4 wheel disc these next couple weeks. I've been running 4 wheel drums for about 8,000 miles and have decided its time to add a little more performance to my braking. The rear brakes will be from Blackbird Customs, I'll be ordering those either towards the end of this week or next week. I have two possibilities for the front brakes, one being using the spindles from a 1992 light duty 3/4 ton chevy along with the rotors and calipers from it. The lower control arms will be from a 3/4 or 1 ton and all the ball joints and tie rods will be from the 1992. The other setup that I have been thinking about trying is using pretty much the entire front clip from a 1978 and trying to use the hubs that are currently used for the drums on those spindles with a hat rotor with the correct backspacing and thickness. Does anyone have any knowledge or has anyone tried the second way of adding front disc. I would really like to be able to use the hat rotor mostly because of the fact that the rotors would be available at my local parts store and I would be able to eventually get cross drilled and slotted rotors if the braking performance is not up to my standards. I am a mechanic and I have plenty of experience in working on every end of my truck but I'm just looking for input to find out if anyone else has tried the way that I want to go with the front disc. I will probably get the master cylinder and proportioning valve from Performance Online. Thanks for any and all of your input.

1Quick_68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Starting my hombuilt Disc conversion

I have seen the set up you describe used on 3rd Gen Camaros. Essentially creating a sealed hub, with a floating hat allowing the use of Corvette rotors.

I would love to see this on a C-10.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
1Quick_68Chevy

Re: Starting my hombuilt Disc conversion

I'm actually going to be keeping it 6 lug, planning on being able to use a rotor from a few different possible sources, I.E. a 78 4WD 1/2 ton Chevy, or a newer 1/2 ton Chevy, or a slightly older Toyota Tacoma, or possibly a newer F-150, these are some of the vehicles that I have found to have hat rotors with various backspacing and a 6 lug bolt pattern on a 5.5" spacing. These should give me some options to find one with the correct backspacing or I might end up machining either a small spacer plate to correct the backspacing on a rotor that is close or machining the hubs that have for my drums currently to find the correct one. I'll keep this updated and let everyone know how everything is going.
1Quick_68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote