The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Looking good! Are you actually thinking of using that 5.3 for your project?
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Looking good! Are you actually thinking of using that 5.3 for your project?
Purpedo,
I was actually thinking of using the 5.3 but now it looks like I'm using a 4.8.
I purchased it as a 5.3 but discovered earlier today it is actually a 4.8. Why, would it surprise you for us to use this powerplant? I am or was pretty excited to get it now I'm little less excited.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Purpedo,
I was actually thinking of using the 5.3 but now it looks like I'm using a 4.8.
I purchased it as a 5.3 but discovered earlier today it is actually a 4.8. Why, would it surprise you for us to use this powerplant? I am or was pretty excited to get it now I'm little less excited.
Oh man Im sorry you just found out about that, 4.8's are ok I guess, but 5.3's kick a$$, anyways the reason I asked is because I would like to perform the same task for my 68 on my avatar (I already have my 5.3 drivetrain). I could learn a few things from you doing it first....
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Oh man Im sorry you just found out about that, 4.8's are ok I guess, but 5.3's kick a$$, anyways the reason I asked is because I would like to perform the same task for my 68 on my avatar (I already have my 5.3 drivetrain). I could learn a few things from you doing it first....
No problem, I have researched it pretty hard and it looks like there is a 30horse difference in the 2 engines. I will be looking for a 5.3/4l60e to go in there still, but I'm not afraid to use the 4.8 at all. Glad you already have one for your project. I will work great in your blue truck or you new project. I am pretty far away from doing the install but when I do, I will document it as good as I can. Right now, the biggest hang up, is getting the frame to fit into the shop. It is not the best weather to be working on this thing outside. I have plenty to do on the cab still.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
JohnC

I think the 4.8 would be good to use as well. No since in sinking more money into another engine. Your welding looks pretty good too.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I think the 4.8 would be good to use as well. No since in sinking more money into another engine. Your welding looks pretty good too.
Thanks John,
I had to fight with the TIG machine because I'm not used to direct amp adjustment, with no footpedal it makes it a little tough to get good welds without burning through.
Incidentally, I talked to the guy selling me the motor and he said it was an honest mistake. Which is what I thought he would say. He offered to give me the cash back. So, what do I do? Get my cash back? give him the 4.8 back and lookd for another? I'm confused, I bet I could get 5.3 eventually(in my price range...CHEAP). It just sucks that I already have this one sitting in my garage. Dang it!