The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
daveccpa

Project suggestions needed 1959 GMC 150

I'm new here and looking for some advice. My son (age 14) has just aquired a 1959 GMC 150 Fleetside from his grandfather. We are looking for idea's on what to do to the truck to make it safe, reliable and good looking for him to drive in two years. I'd like to say that we have around 10 grand to spend on the truck but who knows.

Condition - There are several spots that will need siginifant sheet metal work. The bed is in terrible shape, the only part that can be salvaged is the tail gate. The engine apparently last ran in 2001, it's not seized and crankshaft spins freely. The water pump leaks but that is no big deal.

Ideas - This will be a semi-custom truck, meaning that we'd like to keep the look original but update the various safety systems, etc. I'd like to convert to disk brakes. Possibly swap out the engine & tranny, and maybe the front & rear ends.

I'll post pictures shortly, but I'm looking a suggestions on ways to go with this thing. I've never worked on an old truck like this but have done work with other cars & trucks. Grew up the son of an autobody man so I can find my way around a little. I'd like my son to do as much of the work as he can but he's not much for getting his hands dirty yet.

Thanks.

David
daveccpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
NONHOG

Re: Project suggestions needed 1959 GMC 150

If you search here on the vendor area. You'll see a couple of guys in your area that may be able to help with parts.
I think 1st rig should be simple so it can get on the road during your sons youth Seriously safety upgrades on solid original suspension with a good engine would be my thoughts.
A six or small eight will be plenty.

Are you thinking blow it apart and redo or just a bit at a time?
Checked the "project" area yet ? Lots to learn there.

oh and