The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
dutsuno

72 c10 wiring problem! HELP!!

recently purchased a 72 c10 longbed. v8 350 3 on the floor manual trans. replaced the plugs, points, plug wires, new battery, fuel pump, ignition switch. it ran good and strong 4 a month, but decided not to run nemore. the problem i am having is that the truck is not getting power (electricity). the headlights dont go on. and it wont turn over. but it used to start up right away. when i replaced the ignition switch, the red wire was hanging on by 4-5 copper threads and not the whole wire. i noticed tht my key was prety warm sumtimes when i turned the truck off after drivin it. and sometimes when i turned it off, it would sound like it still wanted to run, alomst like the sound when u run out of gas. i need some help and it would b greatly appreciated!!!
dutsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
fixit-p

Re: 72 c10 wiring problem! HELP!!

If you have no power to the cab the first think I would check is the fusible like wire at the battery and chase that wire all the way to the cab until you find the dead spot. The wiring diagram posted in the electrical section stickies is a good resource for tracing the power wire.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

There is a repair pigtail connector for the back of that switch. The red wire carrys a lot of curent & often burns out. You can cut it away from the rest of the connector & use a but connector but replaceing the whole pitail is best.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
dutsuno

it was the red wire. it was burnt up in the engine compartment and in the cab. i got rid of the plug tht plugs n2 the igntion switch n just hardwired it with some wire plugs n replaced the whole wire from the bat to the firewall . frakenstein is alive once again!! thanx!!!
dutsuno is offline   Reply With Quote