The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

My cab whistles. Help.

I wanted to get a good stereo system for my truck however I didn't see the point if I could still hear the loud whistling of my cab. I am not 100% sure where the whistling is coming from but I am pretty sure it is the old rubber around the windows.

Has anyone had all new rubbers and felts replaced on their windows?

How much did it run you?

Would this maybe fix my "cab Whistling" problem?
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
sighlurr

Re: My cab whistles. Help.

You need to get someone else in the truck with you as a passenger for when the cab starts making noise. Then you can pinpoint exactly what it is, and could maybe be fixed with some affordable adhesive, versus buying blindly in bulk. Hope that helps.

Last edited by sighlurr; 12-24-2007 at 08:21 AM.
sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
kevinr1970

Most usual place is the wing windows.
A quick way to check is if they seem a little loose, stick a coin (a nickel seems to have worked best for me) in between the latch and the window frame to make it real tight.
You can buy the latches for about $20 each. But alot of the time the seals around the wing windows is shot and thats a painful job to do.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
Hazieview

I too think it might be bad rubber around the wing window. It's loudest on the driver's side and it's kind of hard to pinpoint while driving. I noticed that the rubber around the window has some electrical tape on it that the previous owner "profesionally installed" himself haha. So maybe that's it. I've tried pulling/pushing the window tite by hand and it still whistles the same so I'm thinking I need new rubbers and if I'm gunna do the wing windows I might as well do it all. Any idea one how much it might rock my bank account?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
D-Day
Live fast, die young

A set of rubbers for the wing vents shouldn't run you too much. I bought a complete front window tracking set for right and left doors on my truck this summer, which included the felt, tracking, all that crap, for around $90 on eBay. I've seen the vent kits for around $50, I think; though don't take my word for it.

I need to do the vents on my truck, as well. Lot of wind noise, but it doesn't bother me much yet. Still need to do it, though.

Last edited by D-Day; 12-24-2007 at 04:01 AM.
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Roll the window down and the whistle will go away. I have replaced all of the rubbers and felts in my truck, but the wing windows continue to insult my hearing to some degree.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Here's a trick an old mechanic taught me years ago to determine where air is leaking from. He used a cigarette, but you can use a stick of incense. While one person is driving, have another light it up to create a source of smoke. Move the source around near the window, and the smoke will be drawn out ( or blown in) where the wind is leaking.

Just be careful that you don't get too much smoke in the cab before you roll the window down.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

if you TEMPORARILY duct tape them from the outside and take a ride you will know for sure. treat it as two different things. 1.) where the vent glass metal seals against the rubber. and 2.) where the rubber tucks into the metal frame of the door itself. #1 is something that can be cured with sealant if you don't use the vent.try lubing down in the hinge real good to make sure and fix(tighten) the pin that holds the latch on a and you'll be surprised how much noise goes away. If it's #2 then read below for a cure. no amount of sealant oozed up in there has ever cured it for me.

Something else i have known for a long time.
if you look close at wing windows from a 90-91 Burb or blazer (these two years only) you will notice the rubber is a lot different on the outside as it actually wraps up onto the painted door frame. this 'new' design virtually eliminates all the whistles. they install the same. A few years back when i ordered a new wing window from GM for an 85 it came as this new design and that's when i noticed the difference. these windows were expensive from GM even with discount but they have been out there long enough that there should be a few around . Hollander books show them as all the same just like the ebayer sellers do, but it ain't true.

OH boy now the 90-91 vent windows will all be gone.

I have fixed up a LOT of these trucks to sell and that whistle is one of my many pet peeves and i have often cured it without buying and installing the 90-91 vents, but if the truck is something you are re-doing or plan to keep than the newer vents are something worth considering. I just bought a pair of 1990 doors with Power mirrors for my 87 , now all i need is time and bodyman:-(
crossy
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
Duro5341

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Here's a trick an old mechanic taught me years ago to determine where air is leaking from. He used a cigarette, but you can use a stick of incense. While one person is driving, have another light it up to create a source of smoke. Move the source around near the window, and the smoke will be drawn out ( or blown in) where the wind is leaking.

Just be careful that you don't get too much smoke in the cab before you roll the window down.
This is a good idea, I learned it years ago from a mechanic, and I do it now......besides everyone back in the 70's, and 80's smoked, so the parts were readily avalible

Duro
-1979 Monte Carlo, 350, 200r4, 3.73 posi
-1987 GT T-top Mustang - slow moving project
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Hazieview

So '91 suburban vent window weatherstripping will work on my '87 chevy truck?

I found this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-82...sid=p1638.m118

I am planning on replacing all the felts adn rubbers anyway so would this be a good buy? Would this maybe give me a better seal on my original stock vents? thanks again!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #11
Hazieview

anyone else tried the '91 vent window rubbers?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #12
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
anyone else tried the '91 vent window rubbers?
anyone else????? what you don't believe????? It's Christmas for goodness sake :-) .It works.
that rubber comes on the whole new window assembly. a NEW window assembly is important to the equation because the glass sealing rubbers are new and so is the latch. it ALL has to seal. I have no idea what they cost these days but they were over $100 ten years ago. you didn't even need to order them for a 90-91 because all the replacements came that way.(superceeded number crap)
hope you find some under the tree. merry CROSSYmas
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.

Last edited by crossy; 12-27-2007 at 04:49 AM.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:17 AM   #13
cjracing15

cool I have a set from my parts 90 burban.
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
D-Day
Live fast, die young

So, how hard is it to replace the rubbers on these things? I've done my doors, but not the vents.
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM   #15
canadianc-10

i have 91 vent window assemblys in my 84. pass door is a 91 but the drivers is a 84 with 91 vent. not a single peep out of either of them
canadianc-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Every truck i've had had loud vent windows. I usually seal them shut with black silicone and a whole lot of the noise goes away. my 78 still has pretty good seals from being garaged since new i think, so I haven't sealed em yet. but when they start getting bad I'll seal them up too. If you don't use your vent windows anyway, that would be a good mod for ya, especially if you drive on the freeway a lot. another place you get wind is the inner door handle. theres a seal thats supposed to be there, so check for that, it may be missing or just worn out. you'll be able to feel wind around the handle at highway speeds. Good luck.

Kenny
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
streetmaster42

Just find somthing to wet your whistle.
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
2badgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianc-10 View Post
i have 91 vent window assemblys in my 84. pass door is a 91 but the drivers is a 84 with 91 vent. not a single peep out of either of them
I have a 1984 GMC Pickup that I restored n had the vent window weatherstripping replaced. I use the truck on the highway frequently & the whistling noise drives me crazy even with radio turned up.

I definetly want to be able to open the vent windows so sealing them is NOT an option for me.

Can I use 1991 vent weatherstrip but use my 1984 vent windows?

Thanks
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Open the window. Does the weather strip have a smaller channel in it? Is so, you can stop part of the whistle. Using a dull screw driver, slip the smaller channel edge over the vent window. It should seal both sides. Buy some clear silicon. Seal the area around the pivot bolt. I did this to my truck. I have no wind noise at all. Not even at 100 MPH.