The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
cweber

suggestions for sub quantity

The other night I went to my buddies house to hear his stereo. He has an 03 ex cab chevy with two kicker 10s under his backseat. So I decided thats what I wanted and came home to make my decision. I bought two jl audio 10s and a 500rms alpine amp. So here is my delima. I was originally looking at only 1 sub as im going for more sq than big bass. I just got all excited when his was hitting nice and hard. I still have to order my box, so should I just put one in or suck it up and put in both? My truck is a 96 ex cab and I kinda dont wanna lose the jack location, but can still go either way. Any input?
cweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: suggestions for sub quantity

I would run both since you got them since you can always turn the amp down if it's too loud for your liking.

In my bro's tahoe, we put in 2 JLw3's (I think that's what they were) with a 500 watt jl amp. The box didn't need to be huge, so you may be able to keep the jack with the right design.

One thing though, those 2 speakers hit WAY harder than any other 10's I've had. He didn't do anything to the highs, so it's way out of balance and he has to keep the amp turned way down in order for it to not drown everything else out. Given that, I'd suggest also upgrading and amplifying your highs.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Gobbles

I would run both as well, like tubbed said, you can always turn them down. As for the jack, I imagine you can make a box or find a box that will fit your dimensions. My buddy has a 2007ish F*** Ran*** and he fits two 10's behind it without relocating the jack holster. It might just be in a different spot though, Im not sure.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
cweber

Thnaks guys!
cweber is offline   Reply With Quote