The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2003, 12:43 AM   #1
kevncar

Fleetside Bed

I am looking for a 67-68 2WD shortbed 1/2ton with the big window and a fleetside bed. I have a couple of questions for some of you that obivously have a lot more experience with these truck than I do.

1.) First off, a couple people have said I can look for any truck between 67 and 72, then swap on the front clip from a 67-68. Appearance wise, is everyhting interchangable? I realize that the 67 & 68 have the more desirable front end, but is the cab and bed from all the other years the same?

2.) I might have a line on a 67, but it's a stepside. How hard is it to find a fleetside bed in good condition?

Thanks for any info

Kevin

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:57 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The front end is in fack an easy swap, just make sure you have the whole front clip...fenders, hood rad support and grill.
There are very small chainges from 67 - 72 if you overlook the grills. Most of us could spot a 69 - 72 with the 68 front end, but onless it is trying to be passed off as original, many of us like the mod. Heck...I put a GMC front end on my chevy one ton.
One main thing to remember on the body panels, the 67s had no side marker lights. If you put a 67 clip oon anything else, it'll look funny with side markers on the bed, but not up front.
As for swapping the step bed out for a fleet, about 8 bolts and an electrical plug, and 4 friends with strong backs and week minds, and you'll have the bed off in no time.
The step (if in good shape) can bring is quite a bit of money too, so don't just toss it. Quite a few of us love the short step combo. Again, the side markers are an issue since the one you found is a 67.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:15 AM   #3
Hogzilla

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornmail
4 friends with strong backs and week minds
Don't forget the beer!
Hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Ahhh, yes, the ever so important beer...to be served AFTER the grunt work, not before.
Trust me on that one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote