The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
barrolde

82 k10 horn woes

Hi Folks,

First of all, great boards... i've been lurking for a while and have learned lots already but I have a question I couldn't seem to find answered anywheres else.

I'm trying to establish continuity between my horn button (grant aftermarket kit) and the black wire, 3rd from right on the white 'harmonic' wiring harness. I can trace from the black wire to the copper button in the white plastic blinker assembly but i can't get from that copper button to the underside of the also white plastic horn wire holderizer.

When i push them together as they are to do, i get continuity but when i put my locking plate back on, it doesn't go down far enough to make contact. Maybe the spring in that copper thing is shot and I should replace it.. i'll do that but does anyone know of any other ways to do it short of putting the horn button someplace else? I want to have it on the steering column like it 'should'.

Once i get continuity from the horn button to the wiring harness, i can go from there to the relay and control my horn right?

The original relay is gone so I will put a new one in.. i think it goes
Battery -> Relay -> horn button
horn button -> relay -> horn right?

Cheers!

Barry
barrolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
barrolde

Re: 82 k10 horn woes

pics attached, sorry
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Toxic Redline

Not real sure on the horn.. but I'd help if i could but i do like the tags horn, idiot
WHEN IN DOUBT--- FLOOR IT
Toxic Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
barrolde

Hey man, thanks for checking in

Progress was made, the spring in the copper lead was tired so i pulled it out, stretched it out a bit and wadded it back in, now i have connection all the way up to my horn button but still not able to get the horn working yet.

The old relay was gone so i went to autovalue and got a new one but this one is only a 3 prong and I have not been able to make the horn work via the button with it yet.

No wonder everyone wires their own button in on the dash, the instructions that come with grant wheels are incomplete at best, so many posts on forums of people fighting with their horns - ridiculous really!

Anyways, right now have a 3 pin relay in my hand and

1. 12v coming right off battery w/ a 20A inline fuse
2. A connection between my horn button and the black wire 3rd from right on the white wiring harness that connects everything on the steering column
3. a wire running to my horns

But can't for the life of me figure out how to hook those 3 wires up properly to my 3 way relay.

ps. Does my horn button ground to the steering column or do i need to run a second wire off the other lead to the column somewhere?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by barrolde; 02-23-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
barrolde

Anyone? Horn relay wiring with 3 pin relay?

Thanks!!

BR