The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Steve Hafner

Re: Project: "Might-as-well" - 70 C-10 LWB

While doing all of this cleaning, I found a few interesting things. There are grease pencil markings on the driver's side firewall with the build sequence number "635" and the letter "B" which I found out later stood for the Baltimore Md plant on Broening Highway. I also found the letters "AIR" on the inside of the passenger fender, right next to another "635", which told everyone on the assembly line who needed to know, that this truck was going to have Air Conditioning. At this point I decided I "might-as-well" ( you're starting to understand the title of this thread more now, aren't you !!! ) take the radiator out and have it re-cored, since it seemed to be leaking a little and made into a 5 core "desert cooling" one ( just in case !!! )
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve Hafner; 09-04-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Steve Hafner

Next I thought, since all of the parts on the engine LOOKED 26 years old, I "might-as-well" have the carburetor and alternator rebuilt. I bought new water and fuel pumps and put some orange paint back on the engine. I scraped the other A-arm and got ANOTHER mound of greasy mud. When I had all the new and rebuilt parts together, I put them on. I'll ad here, that so far, I've done all of this mostly by myself. ( except when I had to have it towed to a shop to have the water pump installed and carburetor set up ) Sometimes it would have helped a lot just to have someone to talk to while I was working on the truck. If you have a neighbor, friend, parent or child to be with - you are VERY LUCKY !!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve Hafner; 08-22-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
litew8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hafner View Post
While doing all of this cleaning, I found a few interesting things. There are grease pencil markings on the driver's side firewall with the build sequence number ( 635 ) and the letter "B" which I found out later stood for the Baltimore Md plant on Broening Highway. I also found the letters "AIR" on the inside of the passenger fender, which told everyone on the assembly line, who needed to know, that this truck was going to have Air Conditioning. At this point I decided I "might-as-well" ( you're getting to understand the title of this thread more now, aren't you !!! ) take the radiator out and have it re-cored since it seemed to be leaking a little.
Welcome from Iowa. Very cool! Nice truck man! Reminds me of mine. I've got some of those grease pencil markings too! Very interesting you learned where they came from - up til now, I thought they were parts from a junk yard. lol I'm considering putting steel wheels, white walls and those original wheel covers on too.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
ixnay

Gee, you might as well come out here and sit in my garage on an upturned paint bucket and talk while I work on my beast.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351356

Mark
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
litew8

awesome! The fabric in that picture looks decent. I found one place via another thread on this site that sells the parchment fabric. I think mine will clean up nicely, we'll see. Of all the pictures I've seen, never once have I seen a seat exactly like mine, though blue or is it? maybe your pattern is different? I think it's my eyes... being blue makes it look more busy, to me.

What was that thing on your cluster where the tach would be? Looked like something was mounted on the face of it, then it's gone when you reinstalled it all.

Last edited by litew8; 07-20-2011 at 06:43 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
71Sleeper

Can you Pm me on the couple places that sale the parchment cloth seats. I think they will go great with my build.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote