The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
RuthlessSuburban88

Suburban= 3.5 and 4x10 speakers.. WTF

my suburban has got those size speakers in the front(3.5) and back(4x10) i cant find them and plus dont really want them that small haha, so has anyone encountered this problem? and what they did to solve it, im pretty sure im going to have to either fab something or cut something.. let me know whatcha got! thanks
RuthlessSuburban88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
beach

Re: Suburban= 3.5 and 4x10 speakers.. WTF

Try this site if you decide to go with stock locations...http://www.audiosavings.com/category...-Speakers.aspx... I have used 4x10's in an s10 ...you need to cut the bass out of the signal (inline bass blockers or most newer tuners have a high/low cut out) if you want to use an amp on them.
beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Try this site if you decide to go with stock locations...http://www.audiosavings.com/category...-Speakers.aspx... I have used 4x10's in an s10 ...you need to cut the bass out of the signal (inline bass blockers or most newer tuners have a high/low cut out) if you want to use an amp on them.
ahh ok.. thanks alot!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
86Burban

Yeah, the stock setup is lame. I have replaced the HU, and all 4 speakers (with stock sizes) and the overall sound is certainly better but definitely not award winning!

Lots of folks on the board have put speakers in the kick panels and/or doors and gone to 6x9's in the back, added a sub, etc. You can get GREAT sound if you want to spend the money and do some cutting.

I personally don't want to cut into anything so my next step will be to added a powered SW (looking at the Infinity Basslink) to give me the low that the 3.5s and 4x10s certainly arent providing.
86Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Burban View Post
Yeah, the stock setup is lame. I have replaced the HU, and all 4 speakers (with stock sizes) and the overall sound is certainly better but definitely not award winning!

Lots of folks on the board have put speakers in the kick panels and/or doors and gone to 6x9's in the back, added a sub, etc. You can get GREAT sound if you want to spend the money and do some cutting.

I personally don't want to cut into anything so my next step will be to added a powered SW (looking at the Infinity Basslink) to give me the low that the 3.5s and 4x10s certainly arent providing.
i know exactly what you mean.. i also dont want to do any cutting, so i was thinking of building my own center console and putting speakers and maybe a sub in there while still having space for everything i want to put in it as well as cup holders and what not.. i think that will be the best way, because the 3.5's in the dash are so difficult to get to haha.. all my speakers sound like crap... i just put in a new deck and try to control the bass and treble but it seems like the speakers wont let me haha so im definently going to have to try somethin out
Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
86Burban

Actually I pinged MTX to try and get some true measurements of their console SW that fits the 99-00 Suburbans. Depending on those true measurements of the console with the mount brackets it may acutally fit pretty well with the floor contours of my 86...or maybe just need to fab up some specific mount brackets. I figure (1) it gives me the SW and also give me a better console between the front seats than the broken one I have now.

Will post up what they say.
86Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
RuthlessSuburban88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Burban View Post
Actually I pinged MTX to try and get some true measurements of their console SW that fits the 99-00 Suburbans. Depending on those true measurements of the console with the mount brackets it may acutally fit pretty well with the floor contours of my 86...or maybe just need to fab up some specific mount brackets. I figure (1) it gives me the SW and also give me a better console between the front seats than the broken one I have now.

Will post up what they say.
hell ya keep me posted.. interested!