The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #26
blime81
Laid Lo

Re: need all the advice in can get

Alot of guys forget the offroad shops when building a bagged classic but any good offroad shop will have weld on shock tabs, upper studs and perches etc.

ORW in San Marcos usually has everything you could need but there are lots of them here in SoCal.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #27
pale-rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blime81 View Post
Alot of guys forget the offroad shops when building a bagged classic but any good offroad shop will have weld on shock tabs, upper studs and perches etc.

ORW in San Marcos usually has everything you could need but there are lots of them here in SoCal.
I have actually looked into that lol i will check it out online. is there any shops there by you in oceanside?
pale-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #28
blime81
Laid Lo

I usually go to San Marcos for my buggy and Jeep stuff because ORW, 4 Wheel Parts and VW Paradise are all there. I just leave my wallet...

There is buggy shop on Coast Hwy. B & R buggies past o'side blvd near the tracks. If they don't have it, they can get it and the guy who runs it is pretty cool and gives a military discount.

You could call Orange County Sandcar. They don't do retail but they are cool guys and would point you to someone who does in the OC. http://www.orangecountysandcar.com/

On shock tabs get this kind over the single tabs. Easy install and a cleaner look in the end.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/SBRKT-3.html

Also once you get your bags and start itching to plumb something more than schraders, Marshall's Hardware near Miramar is the place for fittings. Big stuff I get from vendors here but with fittings I like to be able to lay everything out and see it all first.

Anyways best of luck!
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM   #29
pale-rider

I guess a big question that i have failed to ask it what length shock will i need? will this be something i have to measure once i get my bags in? cause i'm not sure how long of lower shock mounts to buy, i have found a ton for about 20-30 bucks but i don't want them tho be to short or way to damn long. i think you guys for all the help so far lowered trucks are all new to me.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #30
blime81
Laid Lo

Measure. You'll want as much travel as you can reasonably fit. Ideal is the shock is mounted vertical and in the center of it's travel at ride height. In the real world somewhat extended at ride height and as vertical as you can reasonable make it will get it done. This will give you the most down travel so the shock won't hold you up from airing out.
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
Old 11-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #31
pale-rider

ok sounds good do game plan is air bags first and then tackle the rear shocks hopefully i can pick up that kit this weekend.. i have looked at the off road web site you posted before i think that is were i am going to get all my brackets from pretty reasonable on prices from what i can tell.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #32
pale-rider

alright so i went and picked up the bags today and got everything laid out the wife is leaving in the AM to go home for a little bit so i will have all the time i need to do what i want after work so im going to drill out the rivets of the old cross member the PO cut apart and then drill the frame im waiting to see if i can get a new rear cross member from a member on here and that will take care of my upper shock mount problem... so hopefully things will start coming together ready to get this beast on the road.