The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
SchnorrCS

Electric fan problems...

Hey everybody....
So I have a flex a lite black magic electric fan (Flex-a-lite 180 - Flex-a-lite Black Magic Xtreme Series Electric Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com). I was controlling it with this Flex-a-lite 30332 - Flex-a-lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers - Overview - SummitRacing.com electric adjustable fan controller.

Something is badly wrong. This controller allows for thermostatic control as well as a manual over ride switch, both of which I have hooked up. I can't get the fan to trigger at all. I know all my connections are right, and I have power (full 12 volts) everywhere I should. Further, when I operate the manual override switch, I can hear the relay clicking so I know it's opening and closing right.

When it didn't work, I took the "brain box" out, and wired in a simple 40 amp relay (I believe the fan is max 18 amp draw) in place of the box. Still can't get it to come on. Again, I could hear the relay click, so I know I've got power and stuff.

Here's the kicker....
When I jumper wire the fan direct to the battery, the fan operates.

What gives? Is it possible that the fan motor is beginning to die, and when it gets the full amps from the battery, with no wiring, relays, or switches in the way, it'll go?

I've never even heard of this happening.
Oh, and I know the ground is good. I ground the paint off part of the radiator shroud, and grounded the fan there.

Thanks in advance...
Posted via Mobile Device
SchnorrCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
chris91

Re: Electric fan problems...

From the diagram I looked at you need to disconnect the fan and be sure you have power coming out of the controller. You know the fan is good. Be sure to check all of your crimped connections. Tug lightly on each to verify there is not a loose crimp. be sure you are using battery connections where required. On page 4 there is a warning about connecting to ignition source. Hook everthing up and turn on ignition switch.

Last edited by chris91; 01-04-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added info
chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
chris91

Re: Electric fan problems...

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/180-99180.pdf
chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote