The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
nightmare

Van Tilt Neutral Safety Switch Part Number?

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a tilt column from Dave who said this was from an early 80s motorhome. I've taken it apart, cleaned it up, and repainted it. I was trying to get the neutral safety switch to work properly, but when I set it for neutral it starts fine, but the reverse lights don't work. When I set it for the reverse lights to work, it won't start in park or neutral. I stopped at the parts store to see about replacing the neutral safety switch, but I don't know if I would be getting the correct switch. One place couldn't find anything, and another place gave me the part number of BWD S9210. It appears to be the same switch, but I'm curious to know if it will do the same thing. Is there a different neutral safety switch for a 700R4? For the people who have replaced the neutral safety switch on a van tilt column, what is the part number that you got for the switch? Thanks

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
HeavyMetalChevy
Just a Member

Re: Van Tilt Neutral Safety Switch Part Number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a tilt column from Dave who said this was from an early 80s motorhome. I've taken it apart, cleaned it up, and repainted it. I was trying to get the neutral safety switch to work properly, but when I set it for neutral it starts fine, but the reverse lights don't work. When I set it for the reverse lights to work, it won't start in park or neutral. I stopped at the parts store to see about replacing the neutral safety switch, but I don't know if I would be getting the correct switch. One place couldn't find anything, and another place gave me the part number of BWD S9210. It appears to be the same switch, but I'm curious to know if it will do the same thing. Is there a different neutral safety switch for a 700R4? For the people who have replaced the neutral safety switch on a van tilt column, what is the part number that you got for the switch? Thanks
With what I know... the neutral safety switch WILL be different for an overdrive transmission. Given the extra gear between 3 and 4 speed auto transmissions.
GM ZZ4 Hot Cam 1.5 roller rockers.375hp Aluminum
TH400(3rd)
71 SWB frame off with 68 body. POSI

PayPal: remimartin257@aol.com
Business Inquires: 812 801 5111
"Help me, help you" that's my motto

Members met... BuildinA68, jessewebb, daddymoo2, 70STOVEBOLT, irishfan77, feller, fine69, chevytruckguy70, jamie72, Nohatch, 2112, drtydog
HeavyMetalChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
For the people who have replaced the neutral safety switch on a van tilt column, what is the part number that you got for the switch? Thanks
Hey Mike, I have replaced a broken van tilt BU/NS switch or two before and have always used the same switch on the TH's or converted over to 700R's. I do not think you are going to find a 700R specific BU/NS switch listing anywhere for these old keyless GM van style tilts. The following part numbers should work out fine for you, if you want to spring for the GM/AC Delco one use #1994212, I have also had good luck with the Napa/Echlin #NS6537 on the below style tilts. The Napa #NS6537 crosses over to that same #S9210 part number you had listed above which also crosses over to a Standard #NS52 or a Wells #DR457. Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Hey Mike, per your pm and also out of curiosity, I just went and picked up a couple of the #S9210 switches and they both have that plastic locking pin in place that you mentioned on your switch. I am thinking it's a one time deal used maybe for setup or even shipping? Anyhow you can install the switch by moving the inner shift tube till it all lines up allowing the switch to drop in, then tighten the switch screws and now move the shift lever and it will shear that plastic pin allowing the inner switch tab to now slide back and fourth. You can also do this by hand with just your fingers using slight pressure. Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote