The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Tillik

1967 Small Back Window Replacement?

I called a local glass guy and he can put in a tempered window for around 150 bucks. After talking to him it sounds like a really easy job.

Has anyone replaced the window themselves? If you did, where did you purchase your glass and seal from? I've heard horror stories about getting your new glass in and it is scratched up etc.

The glass guy said he could cut a tempured piece for me. This could be tinted/tempured within the glass instead of having a film added later.

Thanks
Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
C0UCH

Re: 1967 Small Back Window Replacement?

Haven't replaced mine yet but its needed when I redo all my glass. I'll be looking into a One Piece Products flush mount rear window. They have them for the large windows although I haven't seen them for the smalls yet. Being a glass shop though it shouldn't be terribly difficult to have one made.
C0UCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
67chevy1series

these little small windows are a breeze to put in and since there flat they shouldnt crack becuase stress.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Tinkermc

You can't cut tempered glass, he may have a safety glass that he can cut and there are several liquid tints avail that can be applied to glass. Tempered glass shatters if you try to cut it. My best friend has a glass shop and they throw tempered glass in their parking lot on weekends. It stops skateboards in there tracks and will not hurt a tire.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Tillik

I assumed you could cut tempered glass because of the Auto Glass guys description and this Ecklers part. If I knew the quality of glass was nice this would probably be a good way to go. 70 bucks + 43 Dollar Weather Strip = $113 + Shipping. I'll keep doing some research. All's I know is the crappy square aftermarket slider window looks horrible and will be replaced!

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...gray-1967.html
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
69chevy lwb

Take it to your local glass company I work at one and we do it all the time we take a template then deduct the rubber gasket thickness and we can fax a shop drawing into a manufacturer who will cut you any color glass you want clear, green, bronze, blue what ever then they will temper it and send it to the shop where you or they can install it tempered is very easy to work with get a fiber stick and work the glass in no metal tools!! If you hit tempered on the edge it will break but you can beat on the face of it with a hammer and have a hell of a time breaking it
Posted via Mobile Device
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
bguild

I have a small glass I will be selling soon. You might watch the parts board (-;

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
truckster

You have three choices: 1. Find an original back glass. They'll only be available in clear or sun-ray tint, which is a light green tint. 2. Have a local shop cut the back glass out of laminate, in which case you have a wide choice of tints. However, laminate is the same stuff your windshield is made of, and it's not very resistant to impact. 3. As 69Chevy said, you can have your glass company make a template and order a piece of tempered glass in pretty much any tint you want.

Tempered glass has to be cut before tempering. Tempering is a process where the glass is heated to over 1300 degrees and rapidly cooled. The rapid temperature change creates stresses within the glass that give it two very important characteristics: First, the surface of the glass is very resistant to breakage. I've hit tempered glass in storm doors and had it break the aluminum frame before the glass broke. Second, when the glass does break, it breaks into small pieces, which keeps you safe by avoiding large shards of glass. Because the tempering process toughens the face of the glass, as 69Chevy said, the edges are fairly fragile.

Installation is really simple. All you need is a helper and a piece of rope. I prefer 3/16 hollow braid nylon, but 1/4 is good too. Put the glass on a flat surface, and then put the rubber on the glass. Put the rope all the way around the pinchweld channel on the rubber and overlap it at the middle of the bottom. Have your helper hold the glass in the opening from the outside and apply a little pressure. Now pull the rope to get the rubber over the pinchweld. A little glass cleaner on the rubber will make it slip over the metal more easily.

If you have trim, it needs to go in the rubber before you install the glass into the truck.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Tillik

Cool, thanks for all the input. This will help me figure it out!