The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
chris989

Ready to sell this truck over steering issues

v2500, 350, 400t 2 inch lift, 33 bgfs

My steering is still loose after replacing every part. I just installed a new PSC gear box and the unit drives great. I ordered it with a .180 T bar and wow, what a difference.

Anyway, This truck still has the 11-1 o'clock play. Below is a video of the only play in the system. I called PSC and they say the box is adjusted correctly.

My 96 burb has similar play in the gear box when it is not running and that truck has zero play when driving down the road.

Question, Is this rotating play in the gear box normal when the engine is not running, I can just barely feel movement in the pitman but there is no visual movement.

I do not want to question the guys at PSC and begin adjusting this box and possibly ruining it. I am sure they know much more than me..

Also, i had it to the alignment shop, I added 4 degrees caster so it is just over 10 degrees caster. The camber is a little out but there is no noticeable tire wear.

I could not figure out how to make the video to play on this page,, the link takes you to photobucket

Last edited by chris989; 04-28-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: trying to load video clips
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
74 stepside

Re: Ready to sell this truck over steering issues

Just my 2 cents..If that shop couldnt make the steering how you like it and you cant either, maybe try another shop for a 2nd opinion before you sell it. It would suck to sell it then find out the next guy got it fixed.
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
75chev4x4

When u say u replaced all the parts what all did u replace. Dont sell it I had the same problem and was gonna sell mine too, ended up being a number of small things and a bad new drag link from napa. Youll figure out what it is just keep it.
75chev4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
79Betty

I personally just accepted it. I've got 9g's in mine and no way i'm taking a loss on it lol
Posted via Mobile Device
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
chris989

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75chev4x4 View Post
When u say u replaced all the parts what all did u replace. Dont sell it I had the same problem and was gonna sell mine too, ended up being a number of small things and a bad new drag link from napa. Youll figure out what it is just keep it.
Ball joints, DREs TREs, rag joint and gear box. THe shop that checked my alignment sis only that. After the lift I wanted to check my caster.

I Just noticed a small amount of play in the new DRE at the pitman arm. I will pull replace that with a better brand name.

Chris.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
75chev4x4

Yea the bad drag link really screwed mine up, I also went to that borgeson u joint shaft to replace the rag joint when I was having all my steering issues. Not sure how much difference the shaft made because the steering was so bad before I put it on.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
75chev4x4

Mine steers great now but I would like to try a red head or psc steering box now and see if it makes any difference or if its just as good as my napa rebuilt box. Sorry to hijack just thinking out loud.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
chris989

What dre are you using? I have some from napa nad from autozone and both are junk.

Moog i always hear are overly tight and cause poor steerability. any input about spicer vs moog, vs ???

I did not want to dump a lot (crossover) into this set up or axle because i am looking for a dana 60.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
chris989

Quote:
Mine steers great now but I would like to try a red head or psc steering box now and see if it makes any difference or if its just as good as my napa rebuilt box. Sorry to hijack just thinking out loud.
The PSC box I just installed was worth the money. you can spec what you want.

It is possible to get lucky with a reman box, but the odds are against getting the correct T bar. They through a lot of mixed junk parts back in a box with new seals and adjust. That is it.

First, never give up your core if it is the original.
Second, the auto zone boxes are not worth the time to install. I went through three.

Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
75chev4x4

Kinda embarrassing but im running some chinese dre from lmc. I bought them from lmc when I first got the truck not knowing any better. I was going to change them all out for moog but the alignment guy said they are good for now just wait until they wear out. Do you have that ord steering box brace on your truck?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
75chev4x4

What do you mean when u say tbar? Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
chris989

Quote:
What do you mean when u say tbar? Thanks
Inside the spool valve, which is inside the steering gear, there is a torsion bar that determines how stiff or easy your steering is. The steering gear that was used in my 89 burb was maybe used on 100's of different cars and trucks.
When GM spec'd the box new, they used a .180 (or less) thickness Tbar to make the wheel turn easy. The same gear box might be used in a lighter car with a different length pitman arm and so the Tbar might be .240 so the steering wheel will have some resistance. If you have the .240 or more in a heavy truck, the wheel will be hard to turn.

When buying a gear from a retail box store, there is no way to know what is in the spool valve. The remanufacturer doesn't even know, They just put in any spool valve that fits the box. So when you install your new steering gear, It may be stiff, may be easy.

Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
75chev4x4

Ok coool got it, so did psc explain all of this to you and give you the option to change stuff? I might have to order one.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
chris989

Quote:
Ok coool got it, so did psc explain all of this to you and give you the option to change stuff? I might have to order one.
If you order from PSC you should call them prior to ordering. They recommended the .180 and he was right. The effort to turn the wheel is perfect and it returns to center too.

I would never order any box unless the builder is can spec the valve. If the builder does not know then he is guessing. PSC cost 379 w/o a core. It seemed expensive but it is worth it not to have any headaches.

Chris
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
75chev4x4

Ok im gonna look into calling them and getting a box going for mine. You should look at the ord box brace it really braces the steering box well especially since you have a lift and prob larger tires. So let us know if that drag link fixes your steering.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris989 View Post
Ball joints, DREs TREs, rag joint and gear box. THe shop that checked my alignment sis only that. After the lift I wanted to check my caster.

I Just noticed a small amount of play in the new DRE at the pitman arm. I will pull replace that with a better brand name.

Chris.
Ball joints? It appears to be a 4x4 in the pictures, 4x4 don't have balljoints. Have someone turn the steering while you lay under the front of the truck and watch the steering linkage. If the linkage acts like a soft noodle then it will be in the one of pieces of the linkage, like the drag/relay link, and tie rod ends. If when the steering wheel turns the pitman is slow to react then yu have a steering box issue.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
75chev4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
Ball joints? It appears to be a 4x4 in the pictures, 4x4 don't have balljoints. Have someone turn the steering while you lay under the front of the truck and watch the steering linkage. If the linkage acts like a soft noodle then it will be in the one of pieces of the linkage, like the drag/relay link, and tie rod ends. If when the steering wheel turns the pitman is slow to react then yu have a steering box issue.
4x4s have ball joints, at least the dana 44 does. Are you thinking of the dana 60 by chance, king pins?