The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
INSIDIOUS '86

Good trade?

I traded a practicaly new holley 600 for my buddies complete 85 iroc tpi setup. All the wiring and computers and such. Planning to use this on my tbi head 283/700r4 with tri y header combo in my blazer for an economical family car. Lol.

Btw I got the carb free from a friend. Looks like alot of wires to splice and figure out....this is a 24pack beer job for sure
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Good trade?

I think it is a good trade. Holley 600 are cheap used, and a whole TPI system can get pricey. Unless you get lucky, or find it at pick a part.

Have you thought about a Vortec 411 pcm swap for the TPI. I am seriously considering FI for my truck, and that is the PCM I would use. It offers the tune ability of a LS computer, but with the distributor of a classic SBC.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Damon23

I had a 92 Z28 with that set up on it. It was a very smooth, very torquey engine. I remember the TPS and fuel injectors being a issue. A total pain in the arse job to replace the injectors on the car. If I were you I'd replace them now and go with it. I think the company I got mine from was southbay out of New Jersey. Great prices and great product. I think you'll be happy with that on your motor.

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
xole

If looking for injectors I cant say enough about these guys. Give them a call about your project. http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com/
'08 Lexus LS 460
xole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
bluex

Ya I think that was a good trade. I just picked one up myself for $100. No dizzy, wiring or computer though so I'd say you did a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I think it is a good trade. Holley 600 are cheap used, and a whole TPI system can get pricey. Unless you get lucky, or find it at pick a part.

Have you thought about a Vortec 411 pcm swap for the TPI. I am seriously considering FI for my truck, and that is the PCM I would use. It offers the tune ability of a LS computer, but with the distributor of a classic SBC.
I'm going to go that route with my setup. You have to use all the vortec timing components though. Timing set, reluctor wheel, timing cover, crank sensor, balancer an dizzy along with a mix of vortec sensors and the tpi stuff. I have a 96 vortec harness on the way for mine. When I start I will put up a thread about the conversion.

Op if your interested in running that setup on obdii read this thread for more details.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...-opinions.html
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
andrewmp6

Yeah sounds like you got the better end of the deal if everything is ok.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
MalibuSSwagon

Good deal man, looks like you got every little piece. Hang on to that maf sensor, they are about $200 new.

I'd also ditch that 85 computer box, they were extremely slow at processing data. 86-88 MAF computers are easy to find on ebay.

If you didn't already know, www.chevythunder.com is an excellent resource for TPI conversions.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Rich84

I got my set up off of an 85 also..Changed to the 86 computer. (the 85 is a one year only buggy ecm). With the 86 you can remove the cold start injector and associated parts to eliminate some problems by using the 89 programing.

Gonna keep an eye on this thread...Good Luck.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If you are going to replace the ECM (a very good idea....), I would go to the speed density setup. You will have to mess with a chip a bit more, but you take out a lot of things to go wrong, like the MAF and the cold start injector. I think I would also look an an aftermarket stand alone harness, so you aren't dealing with 30 year old connectors. I have had good luck with Robert at www.fuelinjectionconnection.com .
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
INSIDIOUS '86

Well the main thing with that 283 is fuel mileage. The 85 computer isn't so bad it's the piggy back maf burn off module that sucks as they are hard to find and expensive but the benefit is a limp home mode if the ecu fails. I will re pun the harness and run a 86 up ecu and burn off relays down the road along with a custom tune on the chip. And maybe later when I have more greenbacks I will run an ls computer. From what I've read they aren't so much more efficiant as they are quicker to learn and tune and smooth running.

My first upgrade is to get some nice Bosch injectors with the updated tips.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Rich84

Thats a good place to start..Be prepared for the loud ticking that the bosch3's make (if your going with those)..It sounds like noisey lifters..They made an incredible difference to the overall performance of mine..
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
Thats a good place to start..Be prepared for the loud ticking that the bosch3's make (if your going with those)..It sounds like noisey lifters..They made an incredible difference to the overall performance of mine..
Glad to hear they did. I will do some slight blending of the ports and prob a adjustable fuel pressure regulator as well. Anything I can do to make it more efficiant
Posted via Mobile Device