The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
TypeSL2

Fuel Tank Modification?

I am planning a 6.0 LQ swap in my '63 and am going to be using an under the bed tank relocation kit. I was curious if I am going to have to modify the tank at all or if I can just swap to this new tank and run an external pump later on down the road. I know I have seen some people sump their tank, but I didn't know if that was out of necessity, or if it is just common practice or etc.... My thinking is, swap the tank now and run an external pump later and never have to touch the tank again. Thoughts? Suggestions?

edit: I also do have a fuel pump out of a Trailblazer SS, but I don't know what would be involved in making that pump with with my tank, or if it would even be possible. I got it for my wife's car, but may use it in the truck if it would make things easier down the road.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Fuel Tank Modification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
I am planning a 6.0 LQ swap in my '63 and am going to be using an under the bed tank relocation kit. I was curious if I am going to have to modify the tank at all or if I can just swap to this new tank and run an external pump later on down the road. I know I have seen some people sump their tank, but I didn't know if that was out of necessity, or if it is just common practice or etc.... My thinking is, swap the tank now and run an external pump later and never have to touch the tank again. Thoughts? Suggestions?

edit: I also do have a fuel pump out of a Trailblazer SS, but I don't know what would be involved in making that pump with with my tank, or if it would even be possible. I got it for my wife's car, but may use it in the truck if it would make things easier down the road.

James

Sumping is done in fuel injection cars to keep fuel load on the pickup point. The fuel pump uses fuel to cool and will damage itself if it doesn't have a supply of fuel to adequately draw from. Its done in addition to baffles or tank foam to aid in sloshing and again, keep fuel load on the pickup. If you can mount your tank in a way where the pickup is the lowest point on the tank, and you can keep your pump low enough to the pickup (so its not having to draw too hard), you can get away without one. Its the "Right" way to do it though, so if its an option add one.
(its also part of the reason that fabbed or aftermarket fuel tanks or later model modified tanks are run instead of bone stock tanks.)

iirc the stock tank relocation makes the tank sit "flat" instead of vertical like in the cab, and I don't know if there would be a good place to mount the tbss in-tank pump, let alone enough depth in the tank for it to be in a favorable position. (you also say "the new tank", so thats got me confused, is it the stock tank or not?)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
TypeSL2

I am looking at getting a fuel tank relocation kit from LMC. They have a decent price and it is all new stuff. Thanks for the explanation. I am going to measure the fuel pump's height and go from there. I am almost thinking the tank that I am looking at getting may be too deep for the TBSS pump. I think that particular pump is kinda short and stumpy, but I can't exactly remember. It has been a while since I got it. I got a killer deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Looking at the lmc page, I have a little more info, its actually a different tank entirely, not a relocation of the stock tank.,

That being said, I think the sending unit they supply would need to be changed out for a fuel injection unit, as the sender there does not hold a pump OR run it just as a sender, and use an external pump.

If you can find a sending unit that will hold the pump, and supply the needed connections (truck motor uses return style system so you you would need a return on the sender, or a port/bung/fitting elsewhere on the tank for the fuel return.

Something like a later model s10 sending unit will fit MOST gm tanks that use a lock-ring retainer, and they were mostly interchangeable in terms of size throughout most of the Fuel Injection years.. TBI, MPFI, and the LS style EFI will interchange.
You would need to find a suitable sending unit, install the efi fuel pump into it (the tbss in tank pump MAY fit with the proper fittings).

You would want to verify the size of the lock ring and the sending unit hole, as some of the carbed stuff had a different size sending unit, which will not interchange.

Take a look through a fuel of the fuel setups in people's builds. A few members have used this setup and made it work for an LS swap, and they have details on some of the little things like which sending unit works, which fittings are needed to add the FI pump, and any mods that are needed to get it all to jive.

Hopefully that points you the right way.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote