The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
ofnaman

ecm programming?

I've been searching, and searching, and searching. Is there a software program I can purchase that allows me to program my ls2 ecm myself, like to get rid of the emmisions monitor and disable the vats system? I am a GM technician and I can program modules all day at work, but I cannot custom program anything. I really appreciate any help you guy's can offer. Thank you
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
ofnaman

Re: ecm programming?

I could also use recommendations on mail in ecm programming places as well. Thank you
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Mail order tunes are useful, but only the basic needs. They will never offer the same performsnce gains or driveability as a dyno and street tune, because there are just too many factors that they csnt account for. I always recommend finding a respected local tuner to do a dyno tune...

Now on the DIY front, hp tuners is probably the best option in terms of gm efi tuning. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it has a big support community and you can donwload base tunes etc. For some of the basics like emissions deletes , its really just clicking boxes. The benefit is you have thr full gamut of controls at your fingertips, which is nice for thrings like the tranny feel and tire size chsnges.
Posted via Mobile Device

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Bigdav160

How about LS2 Edit
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ummmm...that thing is about 3 grand, and cant do anything pre 05 which leaves out many ls engines.
Seems hard to justify that when hpt and even efi live are cheaper and at first glance, even more capable. Tho i will admit the installer package for hpt isnt "cheap" either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Bigdav160

Weird.

I've seen LS1 edit and LS2 edit advertised for around $400. It's probably for a single license.

I never used either.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Blackpony

Hp tuners hands down! For $500 you can get what you need minus a wideband to tune your setup perfectly!
Blackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
ofnaman

Can I delete the vats system with the hp tuner program? I got a quote from a very respectable ls swap shop in AZ for $310 to program the ecm to my needs. They will even reprogram it anytime I need them to for free after that. The only problem is I have to ship it to them every time I need something done. I live in Reno, and believe it or not, there really is not any place I can find that can program them here. I'm going to call around again tommorow to try the last few places I can think of.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Angryman117

I use EFILIVE, its kind of spendy but can do a lot with it.
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Sorta off topic, but computer tuning related, should I be able to get get data out off of the Can signal even though I haven't had my computer programmed yet? I'm trying to get my gauges to work, but so far no communication.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman View Post
Can I delete the vats system with the hp tuner program? I got a quote from a very respectable ls swap shop in AZ for $310 to program the ecm to my needs. They will even reprogram it anytime I need them to for free after that. The only problem is I have to ship it to them every time I need something done. I live in Reno, and believe it or not, there really is not any place I can find that can program them here. I'm going to call around again tommorow to try the last few places I can think of.
Yes you can. $310 seems high for a mail order program, I only paid about $60 more for a dyno tune and street tune session (~2hours)

Hart - you HAD to go and f*** with the CANbus system didn't you
What are you using to look for an output from it? I would think that a stock computer would retain whatever CAN stuff was hard programmed into it....unless the pcm is actually BLANK, like nothing at all.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

OP, I would try to find an experienced tuner close to you, one that would dyno your swap IF you have made any power adds, meaning Cam etc. If you are just stock with headers and want VATs and rear O2's removed, then I would not hesitate to get a mail order from some one like Nelson Performance, they will mail you an ECM that has been tuned and you send yours back to them. They do this because if their tune isnt what you want, then you can throw your old ECM in and it will run ( after the first flash that is) I did this and they have been very helpful.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
siggyfreud

For about the price of the HP tuner you could pick up a Megasquirt system and wiring harness, and use their package to tune your car. I'm about to start that process for my 66 with a TPI.

It'll have a bit steeper learning curve than HP Tuners, but their software (I hear) is pretty expansible, and also offers some auto-tuning functionality when you use a wideband O2 sensor. They say it works pretty well to get the DD tuning dialed in. You set your desired AFRs and it modifies the fueling to meet those commanded AFR tables.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

MS is great but its taking the long way around the problem, unless the vehicles has a specific need to do things like driver abnormal amounts of enriching injectors, control COP spark on a non-equipped vehicle, all sorts of goofy stuff. I believe there is a newer member on here who is actually pretty well versed in this topic. I want to say his name is Matt C or something like that, saw some stuff he did on an MS website. It makes sense for your tpi but i fee like its going out of the way for an ls.

GM Spent millions of dollars developing a pretty dang good ecm, in regards to something that is functional yet actually pretty simple to work with.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
Matt Cramer

Yes, that would be me... and for my truck, yes, the fact that I'm putting an MS3 on a stock 4.8 is overkill. It does make sense for me in a wider context, though: I work for one of the biggest MegaSquirt distributors, so this is kind of an exercise to better support customers who are running MegaSquirt on these motors. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to convince the boss that paying for a blower kit would let us support LS customers even better. )
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
Chrysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
Yes, that would be me... and for my truck, yes, the fact that I'm putting an MS3 on a stock 4.8 is overkill. It does make sense for me in a wider context, though: I work for one of the biggest MegaSquirt distributors, so this is kind of an exercise to better support customers who are running MegaSquirt on these motors. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to convince the boss that paying for a blower kit would let us support LS customers even better. )
It may not help you support them better, but it sure as heck would help support them FASTER. =)
Chrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
ofnaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Yes you can. $310 seems high for a mail order program, I only paid about $60 more for a dyno tune and street tune session (~2hours)

Hart - you HAD to go and f*** with the CANbus system didn't you
What are you using to look for an output from it? I would think that a stock computer would retain whatever CAN stuff was hard programmed into it....unless the pcm is actually BLANK, like nothing at all.

I don't know why I keep thinking its in AZ, but the quote I got for$310 was from S&P. They keep a record of the ECM program and will reprogram for free anytime after the initial payment. There are no local shops I've found around here that offer a dyno tune service. Kind of weird when you consider the fact that Reno hosts the one of the biggest annual car show in the nation, and is home to one of the biggest performance auto parts suppliers..... I got a quote from a local that will program the ECM for me at $250, but I can't find any info on the guy. The ECM is probably going to go to S&P for the initial tune, then we may drive the truck to Sacramento for a dyno tune.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

I own the commercial version of EFI Live, and have used it quite extensively in the past. To me, it is far more user friendly than HP Tuners...I fiddled around with the tune on a buddy's turbo LS and kept getting lost in the GUI in HPT.

That said, I'm also a megasquirt user...and if the OP has never done any custom tuning, and if it's a basic, stock engine setup, you'd be better served with a reflashed stock ECU.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
mmiddle

EFILIVE. It is the bomb. You being a GM Tech, you will like the similarity to the TECH2 for troubleshooting. Plus you get infinite tweeking ability of the PCM and live telemetry and data recording.
EFILIVE was developed by Rouge/hotrodder group of Holden down-under. Its $900.... pricey, but if you can find a few friends that want a tune you can pay for it pretty quick. Plus there is a mountain of tech info and user developed tunes to fit most any need available for free.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
That said, I'm also a megasquirt user...and if the OP has never done any custom tuning, and if it's a basic, stock engine setup, you'd be better served with a reflashed stock ECU.
Yep, that's why I said the MS3 is overkill for my particular setup - it's just a stock motor with a different exhaust, so really the only tuning it would need would be removing anti-theft systems and some emissions monitors. An install that needed more involved tuning could be a different story. The cost is pretty close between MegaSquirt and many of the stock ECU tuning solutions, so it's mostly a trade-off between tuning flexibility vs the advantage of starting with exact factory maps.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
Yep, that's why I said the MS3 is overkill for my particular setup - it's just a stock motor with a different exhaust, so really the only tuning it would need would be removing anti-theft systems and some emissions monitors. An install that needed more involved tuning could be a different story. The cost is pretty close between MegaSquirt and many of the stock ECU tuning solutions, so it's mostly a trade-off between tuning flexibility vs the advantage of starting with exact factory maps.
I was just backing you up, brother I agree completely.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote