The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
blownz

Front Roll Cage

I want to add to the roll bar in my 72 K5. I would like to add to the front of it. Does anyone have pics for what they have done? Mine has the a/c vents on the side of the dash.
Attached Images

blownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
JMac11

Re: Front Roll Cage

No Photos but mine block the AC vents and you have to open the door to roll up the windows. I am sure it can be done better, bought mine that way.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
mtully79

Will it be for cosmetics or for safety? If it's for safety I have only ever seen it block the a/c vents and get tied into the frame. My buddy's brother in law has a shop in MD where he builds cages, I can set you up with his contact info, he loves talking blazers.
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
warbucket

Here's a couple of mine. I just set it in the blazer to see how it fit, its in the back yard now but is going in soon. I want to remove the bar that goes across the dash pad area. It looks like it will block the a/c vent but thats ok. If the bar is in the way you can use vent window cranks handles from an old GM car that had a crank open vent windows, they are the same only shorter.

warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
72k5zl1

im in the same boat here. have looked on google images for hours and have a folder full of ideas. we just got a three wheel roller for big radius stuff. when i get to it i will post some pics. plan on making the halo fit the windshield frame tight with a big radius and use my 6" rad for the rest. legs will go tight down the post through the dash at the dash pad and head down hidden. the dash pad area of the dash will get sectioned and a tube will go across in its place. then rework pad to cover. have tools and blazer here, just no time.
72k5zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
2many

I was in the same boat trying to figure a way around the A/C vents. It does boil down to how solid you need it. Because mine was more of a street rig / mild 4 wheeling application, I made the rear of the cage very solid and just tied the front section to the top of the windshield frame utilizing the visor and hardtop bolt holes. Certainly better than nothing, looks more complete when the top's off, but NOT the strongest way to do it. Some blurry pics before powder coating:

A hundred ways to do it, hope this helps!
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
tristan

The front legs of my roll cage block the parking brake and the make opening the glove compartment door impossible so they are going away.
Attached Images

tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
pound41

I have been searching for a while. Saw a thread about this. People claimed they tied into the windshield frame which moves and flexes Bolting to it caused damage to the windshield frame. So search for the thread. I tried to find it but could not. Maybe those folks will chime in
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
2many

Yeah, flexing of the frame was definitely a concern. I actually ran stem-style bushings (like from the top of some shock absorbers) through the mounting plates to allow for some flex. It hasn't produced any damage yet and my windshield isn't shattered but I'll keep you posted. Like I said, not for everyone. If I was really wheeling it I'd probably have made the effort and gone through the top of the dash, but that's a PITA to say the least!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
pound41

2many do you have any spec drawing of what you did
thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
I have been searching for a while. Saw a thread about this. People claimed they tied into the windshield frame which moves and flexes Bolting to it caused damage to the windshield frame. So search for the thread. I tried to find it but could not. Maybe those folks will chime in
Just curious - wouldn't the stresses from having the hardtop installed be similar?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
pound41

I know the hardtop I think because of most of the weight being in the back end does a lot to tie the tub together. My original blazer that I have had since 1981 when it first started getting rust in the rockers and I ran the soft top in summer one of the doors would drop and hang. When you see blazer with dented doors inside. Thats from someone throwing a shoulder in them to get the door open. Anyway my original blazer has a ton of rust in the floors now. Debating to restore or scrap. The door lines are great open and close great. If I ever take the top off without fixing the floors first in will sag and not go back. One of my other blazers installing a new front pan. Top is on and door opening braced. Tons of stories of guys cutting floors out without top on and welding in the floors then windshield frame and fender gaps are way off
Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #13
jamesjones
Freakin Awesome!

Here's a couple of mine. I really don't think there's a sound way to do it without blocking the vents...
Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
IwantaK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many View Post

I made my cage the same way. I tied it into the visor mounts. I have not problems with it. It is not the strongest way but i fell like it stiffen things up and provides some roll over protection.
IwantaK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
2many do you have any spec drawing of what you did
thanks
Here's what I've got. Sorry, don't have the actual dimensions anymore. Also, a few additional gussets were added and two bars running lengthwise from the main hoop to the rear hoop. I'll add those pics as well:

Old 01-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
pound41

Thank you very nice work. I originally got the Idea from a new jeep I was sitting next to at a traffic light. It was the factory cage but I couldn't see clearly how and if it mounted to the windshield frame
Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #17
blownz

I want to thank everyone for the reply's, I was out of town for the last couple of days. Once I get the bar done, I will post pics.
blownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
RANDAL

Probably not the nicest or safest but here is mine that I got from Bluek5.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #19
TonyJohnson

Great job. I hated the front legs of mine and cut them off. I need to brace the front of the bar, but yours looks plenty strong.