The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Super73

Re: Another 489bbc question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
This is completely wrong. You need to know what heads your using before picking the cambut the the camshaft and the heads together determine the power band. I have seen dyno where the victor jr made more power across the board over the dual plane when the dual plane should have come out the winner. I have never heard of doing it the way you describe in the 25yrs i've been playing with hot rods.
Please see the bold quote from above. This is why I said the cam is the last item would spec in a motor build. Only after every thing else is figured out as far as supporting components to achieve the rpm band desired can you spec an appropriate cam.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
68c10owner

Re: Another 489bbc question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
Please see the bold quote from above. This is why I said the cam is the last item would spec in a motor build. Only after every thing else is figured out as far as supporting components to achieve the rpm band desired can you spec an appropriate cam.
But the cam isnt the "last" thing you get like you said. You cant pick intake and headers before you know the rest of the combo. Those are the last thing you buy along with carb and ignition. Without knowing the heads and then knowing what cam, you can not correctly pick a matching intake and header.

The camshaft is the main component that determines the the power band. I cant understand why that is difficult to see. The duration of the camshaft is what changes the power band. You need more RPM? You dont put bigger headers and a bigger single plane intake on it. You get a camshaft with more duration.