The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Back to the Basics: Re-Sealing a leaky power steering box

Reach down inside of the box and pull the teeth towards or away from you. They can roll on the shaft and cause what you're describing. If you use your finger, you'll find the teeth will wiggle around.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Carmen Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Reach down inside of the box and pull the teeth towards or away from you. They can roll on the shaft and cause what you're describing. If you use your finger, you'll find the teeth will wiggle around.

Ok, so last night I was hitting the teeth with a punch and a hammer and they wouldn't move at all. I read your post when I got up this morning, walked out to the garage, touched the teeth with my finger and they rolled out of the way. Then the shaft fell right into place.

So, I don't know what that was about, but thanks for the post, must have had some magic in it or something.
Carmen Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
cg285

speed reading through the posts i seem to remember one complaint about not returning to center. the sector adjustment is critical. under no circumstances should it be adjusted by "feel". if adjusted too tight it will resist returning to center and the customer complaint is typically described as "loose steering".
i could go over the procedure if anyone is interested.

2. if you lose the balls there is a special tool required. you could make one if you had a lathe. there are also 2 different ball sizes and they must be alternated when installing. one is black and the other silver. sometimes it's hard to distinguish oily and used so i normally just replace them

3. there is a trick to replacing the pitman seals while on the vehicle. remove the pitman arm, snap rings then, after placing a drain pan underneath, start the engine and turn the steering wheel (rt or lt) to the stop and the seals will remove themselves.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote