The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

More often than not the cause of a 1/4 tank reading is a bad resistor on the back of the gauge. I would try the sender sweep first and if it checks out then look at a new resistor.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
More often than not the cause of a 1/4 tank reading is a bad resistor on the back of the gauge. I would try the sender sweep first and if it checks out then look at a new resistor.
Thank you Vette again. I am thankful that you can/will add your own experience to this thread. My thought was to get some diagnostic procedures out there that someone can reference and help solve there issue.

Is this a common problem that you see on your end? I test each and every fuel gauge for a complete empty to full range and I have not had one to date that would not read past 1/4 on the gauge.

Interesting, I have a drawer full of these resistors, red, orange and blue and they range in ohms from 95 - 108 and the color does not have make much difference. I even have they early wrapped wire resistors and they all read around 100 ohms give or take 5.

I am wondering if you have a bad resistor that restricts a gauge from going past 1/4, what would the ohm reading be then?

Good stuff here.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
Closed Thread