The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #26
MARTINSR

Re: 1948 Chevy - Updating Original Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
You still commute on 880?!? Its not the capability of your car that i would worry about, its all the other idiots on that slab! Would hate to have someone bang into your rambler, its so cool. But can't live in fear...

(I live in Patterson, 16mi SW of Modesto and have to take 880 when i have to fly out of SFO and i hate that stretch)
I now "commute" on city streets about 5.5 miles so I seldom get out on 880 with the Rambler. But honestly, I have done a lot of study in driving, no kidding, STUDY in times and lights and what other drivers do and all kinds of logs and what not and it's largely how we LOOK at traffic and other drivers. What they do doesn't make a big of difference in what I do. I drive with traffic and leave lots of room, that's all there is to it, no magic, but it took me to 55 years old to understand. We have a very twisted image of time and movement, VERY twisted. Our image is way off reality. Once you start seeing it more realistically things get much better for you out on the road.

I know Patterson very well, I use to service the Napa store there and a few of the companies around the area.

The guy I bought my truck from in 1973 was just moving out to Newman at the time. He just had some surgery on his Parkinsons the last few days, I hear he is doing well. He was a volunteer on the Patterson Fire dept for years. Tom Duarte is his name he worked at the Chevy dealer there for years as well.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #27

Just my 2 cents, you got a lot to think about have you tried putting a V8 in a 47-54 Chevy with a stock steering box ?? just one more obstacle to overcome I would get everything figured out before you start, before you have an unfinished project sitting rusting away
918733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #28
wolffcub

that is one sweet ass rear axle setup. How does it corner?

If it aint broke I still try to fix it!
wolffcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #29
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffcub View Post
that is one sweet ass rear axle setup. How does it corner?

You haven't seen the front, screw those modern suspensions, I am running a Harbor Freight trailer dolly, $39.95 no need to spend all that money on modern junk!

Brian

Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #30
whitedog76

How about a Trailblazer/Envoy chassis?

http://www.vortec4200.com/forum1/vie...php?f=10&t=939
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #31
joedoh

man I love the sound of the colorado 5 and the trailblazer 6. especially the 5 though, the 3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2 makes it sound like a lopey cam

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #32
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 918733 View Post
Just my 2 cents, you got a lot to think about have you tried putting a V8 in a 47-54 Chevy with a stock steering box ?? just one more obstacle to overcome I would get everything figured out before you start, before you have an unfinished project sitting rusting away
I put a Buick Nailhead in my truck years ago, didn't have a single problem with the steering box in the way, what are you talking about?

Brian

Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #33
Old Crow

Martin, did you spend a couple of weekends in Humboldt county before you started that project? How'd it handle in the wet?

Hey, I've seen a Corvaire with a Corvette C5 or C6 drivetrain. Saw a Pinto wagon with a 350 SBC in the back seat and I've even seen a VW Beetle(old school)with a 454 BBC in the front that you drove from the back seat. Why not a mid engine AD?

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #34
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
Martin, did you spend a couple of weekends in Humboldt county before you started that project? How'd it handle in the wet?

Hey, I've seen a Corvaire with a Corvette C5 or C6 drivetrain. Saw a Pinto wagon with a 350 SBC in the back seat and I've even seen a VW Beetle(old school)with a 454 BBC in the front that you drove from the back seat. Why not a mid engine AD?
It didn't handle any better I don't believe, but it didn't handle any worse.

You can see the oil pan down below the cab in this photo. I drove it like this just once, then hung all the sheetmetal on it. This was in 1979.

I didn't put it there because of the steering box, moving it would have been a lot easier than what I did. But as I was fitting the motor up front I even had moved the box. I had an extra frame and I cut the section off the frame that the box bolts to. I tack welded it to the side of the frame to move the box out the perfect amount. I was ready to do it when my brother said "How about if you move the motor back to clear the box" and we thought, well, if we move it back 18 inches the it's like a dog house in a van and taking all the foot room, why not just move it back a few feet and get it completely out of the way? LOL And thus the mid engine AD was born. And by the way that "AD" term wasn't used, it was just an old Chevy pickup. Remember, when I did this the truck was as old as an '85 Chevy pickup is today!

But there was a '55 F-100 in town as a kid (it had since been totaled) that had a mid-engine, yes I was a copy cat. But I always dug the idea since seeing it at 13.

But it worked out fine, drove it thousands of miles, it was my only transportation and it performed perfectly for me. At the drags it hooked up big time with that weight transfer, dropping the tire pressure down a bit I got zero wheel spin. I did have to take the second turn out road that the top fuelers took though. LOL At almost 100 mph at the traps I couldn't get it slowed down enough to take the first one without ending up on my roof I would imagine. LOL But that is one of my points, you drive it a little different.

This is how it looked finished. Yes the carb was right between the seats.

That was with all the stock drum brakes and all. It had a 12 bolt '67 Camaro rear end.

I can't emphasize enough, is something like this for everyone, heck no. But this whole "Can't be driven on modern highways with stock suspension" is BS it is out and out BS. It is all in HOW you drive it. You don't go slower, you don't hold back traffic, you don't take longer to get there, none of that crap. You simply leave more room and drive with traffic. I drive a friggin 1959 Rambler American every single day to work and about, every single day, with a little flat head 196 CID motor and tiny 9x1 drum brakes. I do it every single day, it's all in your expectations and your willingness to not drive like a fool.

Brian

Old 11-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #35
Old Crow

Preaching to the choir.
My daily driver(weather permitting)is a '61 F-100 302/C6. Suspension is stock straight axle and drum brakes still with a single pot master cylinder.
I have no problem hooking on to the car trailer and dragging another project to the shop. Only time I have had trouble was a '77 F250 long bed camper special. That truck should have been hauling mine! Just stayed in the right lane and left a lot of room.

BTW, I was just thinking about it and in '79, I lived in Phoenix, and my daily driver was a '53 F-100 also a 302/C4 truck. That was also my first '50's truck, and I've had at least 7 straight axle trucks in the years since then.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #36
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
Preaching to the choir.
My daily driver(weather permitting)is a '61 F-100 302/C6. Suspension is stock straight axle and drum brakes still with a single pot master cylinder.
I have no problem hooking on to the car trailer and dragging another project to the shop. Only time I have had trouble was a '77 F250 long bed camper special. That truck should have been hauling mine! Just stayed in the right lane and left a lot of room.

BTW, I was just thinking about it and in '79, I lived in Phoenix, and my daily driver was a '53 F-100 also a 302/C4 truck. That was also my first '50's truck, and I've had at least 7 straight axle trucks in the years since then.
Yeah the Rambler is single pot too. I rebuilt the entire system before I drove it. New brake lines, hoses, master, wheel cylinders, all new and it's maintained. Every year I check do a complete check adjusting the brakes (they don't have self adjusters) and pulling up the carpet to check the fluid (which is always fine of course) and checking the hoses. I have had one panic stop emergency when some bonehead pulled out from the back of a left hand turn lane across traffic as I rolled thru an intersection. He was in front of me in a split second and I stopped that little Rambler better than I thought it would to tell you the truth. But that was it, I drive super careful and never have a problem.

And this car is sooooooo slow, I "race" people all the time, people who don't even know I am racing like some woman in a mini van, and I loose. LOL It is SERIOUSLY slow, and yes I get out on the freeway and stay with traffic in the slow lane, the semi truck speed limit is 55, I can do that all day long so there I am driving with the trucks, no big deal, THEY know how to drive! LOL

Brian

Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #37
PDW HOTRODS

Years ago I saw a truck with mid engine behind the cab. They used an Olds Toronodo front engine front wheel drive setup in the back. They said they could pull the front tires off the ground. Under the hood was trunk space. I would love to build something like that.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:18 AM   #38
yossarian19

A local guy here had a Corvair pickup with two rear axles. The front of the back pair was a Cadillar Northstar transverse v8 & strut suspension. Wacky.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #39
pvienneau

Good thread as it started out regarding frames. I was going with restoration at first cuz I had a complete truck but now engine is no good. So now I am going a different plan. I'm thinking I will update the original frame a bit and find a 292 inline 6. I'm interested in new springs and better shocks than the knee action originals. My expectations is not a show truck. I am interested in building a 3 season daily driver. I want to be able to jump on the highway with the truck and maybe go to my house in ME with it. 150 miles away. I'm taking all recommendations into consideration. I'd like to go with a stick on the floor as original truck.

1949 unmolested Indy Farm Deluxe AD
1949 Standard 4 speed http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=581544
pvienneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #40
wood1

Looks like YOUR post got Hijacked....

It seems that you'd like to keep the original frame. It's all about what you are looking for and can afford. Just take your time and do some research by reading through some threads & builds on this site and maybe talking to some people you know and trust that have experience with old vehicles.
Nothing wrong with a dropped straight axle, upgraded brakes, etc.

Good luck and have fun doing your own thing
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #41
RamboHern

Yeah as of right now I'll be doing the original frame with the 1985 front crossmember and suspension. I'll be able to utilize the disc brakes, power steering, and modern suspension. Also it should strengthen up the front end and provide more availability for parts. I won't be able to work on it until we finish our slab we are pouring so i haven't had the chance to tear either truck apart. I'll be reading up and learning more until then. I hope all goes smooth.
RamboHern is offline   Reply With Quote