The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
grandpa

Question generator to alternator for a 283

hi

i have a 62 chev 3/4 ton all original and i would like to convert to a gm internal regulator alternator, i am in need a a wiring diagram to make the conversion from generator/regulator to internal regulator gm alternator. thank u joe
grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
Shorty Cox

Grandpa, it is so easy. I did it to my '64, and i would think it would be just as easy on yours.
This topic has been discussed at length on here and you can do a search for the topic.

First remove the battery cables from the battery.

1. take the regulator off and throw it as far as you can.
2. It should have had 4 wires connected to it.
3. Using a test light, locate the wire that is hot (12 volts)when the ignitation switch is in the "run" position.
4. now, locate the wire runs from the regulator to the gen/alt.
5. splice the wire located in number 3 above to the one located in number 4.
6. now you have a wire at the gen/alt location that is hot (12volts)
7. forget the other two wires at the regulator.
8. Now remove the gen/alt and throw it as far as you can(probably can't throw it as far as you did the regulator!!)
9. Should be three wires going to the it. two small wires and one large wire. The large wire is connected to the battery and is hot (12 volts) all the time.
10. Go to the parts house and purchase an alternator with internal regulator and a new "pig tail" (the little thing that plugs onto the two terminals on the side and near the back of the alternator) they are numbered 1 & 2. the pig tail will have a small white wire and a large red wire. The new alternator will also have a large terminal(electrical connection) on the back. I will look like a screw sticking out with a nut on it.
11. Do what it takes to bolt the new alternator into the place of the gen/alt you removed and threw in step 8.
12. Once installed, plug the pig tail onto the terminals mentioned in step 10. attach the large wire from the battery (mentioned in step 9) and the red wire on the pig tail (mentioned in step 10) to the large terminal on the back of the alternator, tighten the nut.
13. Now attach the white wire on the pigtail to the wire identified in steps 4, 5, & 6.
14. Secure all left over wires.
15. Crank her up and you are good to go.

Amp meter should work also. If you have a idot light, i'm not sure.

shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote