The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
65chevysub

Re: New guy alert/Never Ending Project

The roof vent looks like an aftermarket unit. I had one like that in mine then went to the higher smoke colored plastic one, then got rid of it all together. It was 14"X14" and I had a steel plate welded into the hole. I like the rwar view mirror though. I bet you get a good view of everything beside and behind you.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
64k10burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevysub View Post
The roof vent looks like an aftermarket unit. I had one like that in mine then went to the higher smoke colored plastic one, then got rid of it all together. It was 14"X14" and I had a steel plate welded into the hole. I like the rwar view mirror though. I bet you get a good view of everything beside and behind you.
I agree that the vent is an add on, it has been there a long time tho.

The mirror is ok, it is mounted a bit high to have a good view out the back. IF it stays I will add lowering arms to the mounts.....we will see
1964 k10 suburban project
1947 Dodge chop top rescue project-SOLD
64k10burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
65chevysub

Im thinking about putting one of those mirrors in mine. I think Autozone or O'Reilly sells them
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
64k10burb

I have been having trouble sourcing radiator support mounts like the ones on my truck. Search results have shown another type of mount, however it seems to require the part of the mount that I am missing. I can make a bracket. but would like to find some OEM type mounts.

I have verified the "government gray" special order color is under the fenders as shown in the pics.

I am not a fan of the light blue currently on the truck, my wife has rejected the original gray. Looking at color chips she wanted to see a sample of the Sea Mist Jade metallic, so after acquiring a small sample and carelessly slapping it on the truck the final color is approved. It will be sea mist jade, and she has named the beast........"The HULK"
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
64k10burb

While I'm waiting on glass to be cut, I installed my Steele rubbers into the vent window assy. WOW, it's nice stuff, if the rest of it fits this nice, I'll say it was easily worth the extra $$$. I will report further as I continue with my new seals. So far, I am very pleased with the product.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64k10burb View Post
I have been having trouble sourcing radiator support mounts like the ones on my truck. Search results have shown another type of mount, however it seems to require the part of the mount that I am missing. I can make a bracket. but would like to find some OEM type mounts.
those rubber insulated front rad mounts were only on suburbans and panels. more than likely to compensate for the more secure mounting of the longer body style of the suburban and panel over the shorter standard cab of the p/p. to give the front end a little more flex
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
64k10burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
those rubber insulated front rad mounts were only on suburbans and panels. more than likely to compensate for the more secure mounting of the longer body style of the suburban and panel over the shorter standard cab of the p/p. to give the front end a little more flex
ron
Thanks, I suspected as much. I have had ZERO luck finding them. Fabricating a standard mount is not a problem, I was just hoping to find the OEM type to allow the necessary flex. I will have to put some thought into my fabricated mounts......