The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
Aruba1

Intellitronix cluster setup to 4 cylinder (LS)

Guys, I am putting this on the main section instead of the LS forum in hope to get someone to chime in that is familiar with these cluster that may or may not have an LS.

The cluster comes from the factory setup for 8 cylinder but the instructions says that you can cut the blue wire to trigger the 4 cylinder mode which is needed for the tach to work with the LS engine. I found a diagram online for their tach "gauge" (same company) and on the gauge there are two wires that depending which one you cut will go on 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder mode. But on my cluster there are no wires on the front panel and I have nothing to cut. There is a blue wire in the back of the cluster that is for water temperature sending unit, lol, and I ain't cutting that.

Can anyone help? I hope to get this fixed without calling their tech support. I will post pics shortly.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Aruba1

Re: Intellitronix cluster setup to 4 cylinder (LS)

Short video of the cluster in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw0Z...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Jrainman

Yes the blue single wire is for the temp gauge , what you are looking for is also on the back side of the board NEAR THE EDGE of the board

You should have a LOOPED BLUE Wire and a ORANGE LOOPED Wire
CUT the Blue Looped wire ONLY for 4 cylinder operation. Leave the orange loop in tact Orange wire is 6 cylinder wire.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Aruba1

Unfortunately there no wires on the cluster! I just noticed thught that there are two little colored stickers. I will wait till I talk to tech support to so I should "break" the run of the blue sticker. i hate when I buy something and the instructions are not up to par!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Yes the blue single wire is for the temp gauge , what you are looking for is also on the back side of the board NEAR THE EDGE of the board

You should have a LOOPED BLUE Wire and a ORANGE LOOPED Wire
CUT the Blue Looped wire ONLY for 4 cylinder operation. Leave the orange loop in tact Orange wire is 6 cylinder wire.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
Aruba1

Pics...
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Aruba1

This has become the nightmare that I didn't see coming. Customer service at Intellitronix never answers their phone. I left a few messages last week but nobody has returned my calls. The ebay seller who I bought the item from has stated it's been over the "return policy" so he can't do anything. Since he no longer cares to deal with me I left him a negative feedback as when he mailed the cluster he included the old instructions that does not cover the never style cluster. Also before my purchase he said it wouldn't be an issue to get the cluster to work with my LS engine. A few weeks ago I asked that he send me the new instructions but his response was to call CS. I have been an Ebay member since 2001 and I never left anyone a negative feedback but he left me no other options. Intellitronix on Facebook has deleted my post as I guess all that it matters is that they sold a product. So I am stuck with a cluster with a none working tach. Thanks Intellitronix.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
Ta2edjr

Sorry to see you have Ben having trouble I just finished my gauge install on my 72 using the exact same gauges you have my truck is also LS swapped. There is no wires on the back to cut just hook up your tach wire to the correct wire coming from the ecu. It should be a white wire coming from the red connector it is pin #10 if you are using a 99-02 harness. This is what worked for me so that's as far as I can go. If you are using a ls1 harness or 03 and up truck harness then it will probably be different. Hope you get it figured out!

Last edited by Ta2edjr; 07-07-2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: adding more info.
Ta2edjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
Aruba1

Thanks, mine is a 2001 5.3L with a 2004 GTO intake and PCM. I finally got mine working without the help of Intellitronix. How can one count on their lifetime warranty if they don't pick up the phone or return your call? I will never do business with them again but I am glad that the fix was cheap and available at Radio Shack, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBoQBMiIKfM

Last edited by Aruba1; 07-07-2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 07-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #9
Ta2edjr

Glad ya got it working. What exactly did you have to do get it working? Inquiring minds would like to know lol
Ta2edjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Aruba1

A resistor between 12+ and Tach: 1k OHM 1/4 Watt.

RadioShack item 2711321.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
Aruba1

Day 43: Still waiting a return call from Intellitronix. The troubleshooting instructions that their tech (Mel) gave me was simply to check voltage at the RPM wire coming off the PCM. If there was "any" voltage I would have to send the cluster in for repair. I called him the next morning (he assured me that someone would pick up the phone during normal hours) and the call went to a voicemail. I left him a message stating that I did the troubleshooting and there was no voltage and it needed repair. I am still waiting, lol, and waiting...

Thankfully the following day I used google to find that my issue was a simple resistor which Mel failed to troubleshoot, lol. I wonder how good they with the "Lifetime" warranty on their product if they NEVER answer their phones or return the customer's calls.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
davepl

Not sure if this will help, but since it sounds like a similar pull up resistor issue, and it's an LS, posting it.

Also Dakota Digital makes a little $50 box that can convert back and forth from 4/6/8 signals, so if you've only got a 4 and need an 8, like with an LS motor, you can use that, which is what I did.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
Aruba1

Thanks Dave, my issue has already been corrected by using a resistor and setting the cluster to 4 cyl mod as required for the LS setup. I was just ranting that this company does not care about customer service. It's just a headsup to anyone wanting to deal with them that although the product is good, don't expect them to stand behind doing any repairs.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
davepl

Glad to hear it! Fortunate that your board can be set up to work with a 4-cyl out of the box, I had to use the adapter because it was a factory tach...

My current peeve is tech companies that can't handle email (and every email is "phone us"). But if they don't even answer the phone, you're hooped!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote