The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
FAKKY

Re: Which manual tranny did you choose for your LS swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
The T56 is a manual 6sp. There is no kickdown/TV cable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol. Rookie error.
Was thinking about the issue of putting in older style trans like 700r4 ..... due to original electronic trans not having tv etc
Anything special with fitments for t56 ...
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I had a sm465 prior to the nv4500..I wanted to keep my 4.10 gears and needed the overdrive..my crossmember is at the rear of the trans..the adapter plates put the ls engine in the same place the smallblock was..love the nv..no problems with aa pressure plate or clutch..I looked into using gm parts to do it but I was having difficulty finding everything needed so I went with the adavance adapter kit. Got a bench seat and shifter clears it fine..headers are a nightmare if you've got a z-bar..I wound up using headers for a hummer and had to do a good bit of modifying to make them work..the problem was finding a set that dropped straight down on the drivers side and then turned back..there are headers out there that claim they'll work with a z-bar but don't be fooled..I think these are the adapter plates I used..http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Conversi...hT29bU&vxp=mtr
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I had a sm465 prior to the nv4500..I wanted to keep my 4.10 gears and needed the overdrive..my crossmember is at the rear of the trans..the adapter plates put the ls engine in the same place the smallblock was..love the nv..no problems with aa pressure plate or clutch..I looked into using gm parts to do it but I was having difficulty finding everything needed so I went with the adavance adapter kit. Got a bench seat and shifter clears it fine..headers are a nightmare if you've got a z-bar..I wound up using headers for a hummer and had to do a good bit of modifying to make them work..the problem was finding a set that dropped straight down on the drivers side and then turned back..there are headers out there that claim they'll work with a z-bar but don't be fooled..I think these are the adapter plates I used..http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Conversi...hT29bU&vxp=mtr
Yeah, I was worried about the z bar interference issues. Did you consider converting to hydraulic?. I think there is as kit to convert old manual to hydraulic right?
BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I did consider a hydraulic conversion but only as a last ditch effort..I was bound and determined to make the zbar work...
Old 01-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
BaroneDog

Quote:
I did consider a hydraulic conversion but only as a last ditch effort..I was bound and determined to make the zbar work...
I commend you for doing so!. Nice work. What was the trick to getting the headers to work? Denting or cutting or both?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

No denting but I did cut the collectors off and change them..the right side was angled out so I made it go straight..the left side I had to rotate the bolt pattern so that two of the flange bolts were vetical on the frame side..and had to do some serious frame notching...I wouldn't really recommend going this way to anyone..it would have been better to have cut the engine side flange off and just tuck the header closer to the engine..rather than cutting into the frame..
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
BaroneDog

Quote:
I would like to stick with mechanical linkage as well. Would you be willing to provide some more details on the header modifications required to accommodate a Z bar?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
sangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
Lol. Rookie error.
Was thinking about the issue of putting in older style trans like 700r4 ..... due to original electronic trans not having tv etc
Anything special with fitments for t56 ...
You can buy kits that make it easy if you want to spend that kind of money. It is doable but depends on what you want and how things sit. I wanted the trans not to hang below the frame so that required a new tunnel in the cab. I wanted to stay with a hydro clutch but didn't want to spend the money for a premade kit so I did my own. It's a lot of work if you are not familiar with it all.
Posted via Mobile Device
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote