The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetline - NZ Build

A LOT of work done - kudos. But won't that rubberized coating just burn away when they weld in the new roof? Or do they plan on using #M Panel dhesive? If welding I'd say a weld-through primer would have been a good choice where the welds go.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
QBRacing

he hit the lip with a wire brush and used some goop between. I dunno.... he's the expert.

All I care about is he has now filled over 70 holes in the firewall and fitted the new skin from dynacorn.

looking good... now I just need the boat to hurry up with the steps and corners..
Attached Images

QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice project!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
QBRacing

So I got some good news on Friday from my importer. His container finally arrived in NZ ......

First thing tomorrow I can go and collect all my goodies including;
* rear cab corners
* new cab step plates
* C4 front suspension setup including steering wheel
* window felts and rubbers etc for 1 piece conversion.

=========

With that in mind and being today is a public holiday and its raining cats and dogs I thought I might as well do some work on the ol girl.

I narrowed the chassis rails enough to allow the new FlatOut x-member to fit which included....
*measuring 27.5" (698mm) from front chassis to mark original wheel centre
*checked and double checked the C4 Flatout X-Member to ensure the wheel centre marking was 5/16" behind the centre
*ensured the box sections fitted in the chassis rails
*aligned and fitted the cross-member for the first time

It was about now that I remember reading somewhere that the original wheels don't centre in the fender and you need to move them forwards of backwards if you want to correct this.

As my cab is still at the panel shop waiting on the steps and corners I cant mount the guard up to check so thats all going on hold until the cab comes back. sigh.....

Being I was in the mood to do some work I decided to start the window conversion as well. I removed all the factory windows and vent glass etc and printed out the window template (c/- GRIMSS) ... which I then assembed and traced onto a piece of 3mm hardwood for testing.

It was about now that I realised I had no cutting discs for the grinder and being a public holiday nothing is open so I went inside and started drinking.... sigh......
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Advanced Design

Yep, some days go like that. Fun build and I will be following along.

Is that carpet on your shop floor?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
QBRacing

Yes that is industrial carpet. Its a fully covered in carport off the double garage (which houses the Nova and and the 49 Fleetline). I think the old owner used it as a gym ..... regardless I cant leak any oil on it without an engine or trans and when I do ill just rip it up then.

-----------------

So collected all my goodies from the importer and am so happy.

Have already test fitted all the suspension bits but have struck one issue with dimensions. Basically, I am skeptical about the 27.5" back for the centre of the new X-member as it doesnt allow enough boxing plate for the cutout to reach and is 2-3" forward of what I marked as the centre line of the old factory solid axle centre....

Hopefully this short video can explain it more.....

Have arranged to drop the cab corners and step plates with the panelshop tomorrow so it shouldnt be long till I get that back and can mount everything up

Q
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 10-23-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
svr

I don't know this for fact but have been told that 58 and 59 frames are about 2" longer in the front than 55-57 because the fenders are longer, somewhere I saw somebody had to cut the cross member loose and move it back, wish old brain could remember the build.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

The 58-59's are longer in the front.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
QBRacing

Thanks guys.

Knew the instructions couldnt have been right but couldnt figure it out.

Just been doing some searching and yeah that's what I have found (2" to 2-1/4" longer) and a lot of people reference it to the rad support panels....

I guess ill move the X-Member back 2" for now, see how it looks, then wait for the cab and guards before welding in place....

Glad I didn't weld it from the instructions (which I guess are only for 55-57)

Q
Old 11-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #10
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
I don't know this for fact but have been told that 58 and 59 frames are about 2" longer in the front than 55-57 because the fenders are longer, somewhere I saw somebody had to cut the cross member loose and move it back, wish old brain could remember the build.
Unfortunately that was me, I had to cut my Flat Out cross member out and move it back 2" on my 58 Cameo!

58CameoAz
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

I think you should roll her outside and get a better look at it to be sure.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #12
QBRacing

Made a quick video to show the difference on the chassis rails and to aide my explanation to Don. Thanks again chuck - I gave you some credit in the video.

Still don't have the cab back yet but it shouldn't be long then I can position the c4 setup where I want it (centred in the arch) ...

Until then, better get back to stripping the fleetside...

Q
Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Great video, I'm sure lots of folks will benefit from it!!

Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 AM   #14
QBRacing

Thanks.... Think I got it all right but the pics at the end say it all...

So here is what I got up to today.... stipping.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #15
Advanced Design

Looks like your metal guy did nice work. Yeah, the math on the 111 hours hurts writing the check though it does save a lot of build time.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:34 AM   #16
Scottish58chev

Looks good, no one really appreciates the time involved in the fab work unless they have done it or had it done.
Scottish58chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
QBRacing

so I finished sanding down the cab over the weekend, all the way back to bare steel.

yesterday I managed to get a coat of etch primer on it which will help protect it until I find some time to apply a skim coat of filled to the firewall and a few other places.

pics as always
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #18
QBRacing

So I decided to start on the front C4 install again now I've primered the cab.

I started by bolting the front end together with about 6-8 bolts and mounted it up to the cab.

Then I spent about 3hrs moving it forwards and backwards to try different wheel arch locations. Basically on the 58-59 the noted 27.5" is to far forward though it would work.
If I moved it back 2.25" (the extra length over the 55-57 chassis) it was sitting slightly towards the rear.

In the end I settled on 28-3/4" from the front of the rail.

What do you think....
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
Advanced Design

That positioning looks good from the inside. Does it look "right" from the outside?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #20
Advanced Design

That looks good QB. I couldn't tell for sure from the video, was the suspension set at ride height?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #21
QBRacing

that would be a no. if you go back a couple of posts to my front end pic you can see it's sitting on some bricks.
The lower chassis rail is about 150 off the ground meaning the lower arm is about 100 off the ground. I'm running coil overs so should be able to get it at that height.

looking at it the setup however, if I go lower the wheel will move forwards and if i g up the wheel goes back slightly

q
Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #22
QBRacing

Sorry for the lack of updates recently but I was advised by the guy who was going to weld my Flatout C4 front kit that I should contact our Low Volume Certifiers over here before he began.

Just as well I did as I need to submit a full build plan because of the IFS/IRS conversion. I then get an approval and weld and the certifier just checks the weld quality and that I followed the build plan.

In the mean time I ordered the Flatout C4 rear kit (complete with Dana 44 and coil overs) and that is somewhere in the pacific heading towards me (slowly)..

On the upside, the panel at the LVVTA meets this week and hopefully I get the approval shortly (or recommendations) and can begin to weld

Q
Old 01-22-2018, 03:33 AM   #23
dsraven

when you set the axle center line ensure you check the truck with the tire size you will be using as a final (diameter) and have the truck at ride height and proposed rake angle. the height and tire size can really have an effect on how the tire looks in the wheel opening because the opening is angled on the rear edge. the lower the truck fits down over the tire the more exaggerated the effect becomes. it looks like the tire is rearward more as the truck is lowered more or the tire diameter is increased more.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #24
QBRacing

sorry for the slow replies but not a lot has happened recently. I broke myself and are still waiting for the rear end to arrive in the next week or so.

on the upside the LVVTA (Low Volume Testing Association) or the guys that certify our cars legal for road use once modified have finally met and approved the build submission I sent them. So as long as I stay within the parameters I sent them I'm good to go and start getting the front end welded in.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2018, 06:14 AM   #25
QBRacing

With that in mind i decided to spend some time today finishing of the front c notches as I just kept leaving them in the "round too-it" basket.

while I was in there I decided to cut out the side of the damaged front chassis rail so i can weld a new piece in. As you can see I ended up having to reinforce the chassis rail with a 4x2 as the only thing holding the left front end up was the top of the chassis rail (refer pic)

no problems with the other side however and now I just need to get hold of my pesky welder to get it all in there
Attached Images