The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Snake72

Re: Grandpa's 72 restoration

Been a while since I updated this thread, finished assembling engine and ready to mate to trans and set in frame. Ran all new brake lines from inline tube, they were pre bent and were pretty close in fit but had to work each one a little bit to fit right. Hoping over Christmas to get engine/trans in and get the cab on. Will be a good sight
Attached Images

Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Snake72

made some progress this weekend, nice to see the engine and cab back on for the first time in 2 years
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
LSSierra

Looks good bud. Great build. Keep updating please!!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
Snake72

Thanks for the kind words, updates may be slow but will certainly continue. As soon as I get it running I'll start back up on body work. Need to finish reskinning the doors and pick up new repop bedsides. Then I can assemble and test fit panels and gaps prior to paint
Old 01-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Snake72

Slowly getting my quadrajet rebuilt, ordered HP kit from Cliff's high performance, highly recommend this guy. Should have carb done shortly. Will be sending my distributor to him for rebuilding.

Bought some new valve covers from trans-dapt, way better than the finned aluminum ones I had, junk baffles and screws, loose grommets. Trans dapt covers already had baffles installed, great quality
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
72 tigger

Nice progress- keep up the good work!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Snake72

Got the quadrajet rebuilt with help from Cliff's book and his rebuild kit (very very good kit). All went great except for rebushing the primary throttle shaft, mine was horribly sloppy. To do this, you need to grind off the ends of the tiny staked screws that hold the flaps on the throttle shaft in order to remove the shaft and drill out the holes to drive in new bushings. Must not have ground enough material off of one screw and the screw head twisted off. No biggie, drilled it out (amazingly straight actually) and re tapped the hole with 4-40 instead of the original 3-48 screw threads. Reassembled perfect.

Second problem, to remove the primary throttle shaft you also have to remove the secondary shaft at the same time and slide them out together due to linkages and such, at least that's how I understood it. To remove the secondary shaft you need to punch out the secondary shaft lockout pin. I tried heat, kroil, swearing, and a BFH, all to no avail. Cut the pin ends off and drilled it out too, replaced with a slightly tapered hardened pin and epoxied into place. Other than those two issues this is a very DIY job and not so terrifying, just had to go slow, take a lot of pics, and follow Cliffs book. I did have not done any fine choke or fast idle adjustments yet, will do that when mounting carb.

Hope it runs!!
Attached Images