The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
hemi43

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Thanks for the pictures !! I like the idea of the mounting links at the spring perches. Would be less binding with this design. Probably a necessity with your lift kit. I see what you mean about the front cross member. I'll have to fab up some custom brackets.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
Thanks for the pictures !! I like the idea of the mounting links at the spring perches. Would be less binding with this design. Probably a necessity with your lift kit. I see what you mean about the front cross member. I'll have to fab up some custom brackets.
No problem! I'm excited to see what you come up with for brackets.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Spf79

Front shocks in place, and the stabalizer mocked up. Not putting it on until it goes in for alignment.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Lieferson

This thing is gonna be sweet! Keep up the good work!
1972 K5 3/4 ton PROJECT Sold
Lieferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Spf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieferson View Post
This thing is gonna be sweet! Keep up the good work!
Thank you sir!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
Front shocks in place, and the stabalizer mocked up. Not putting it on until it goes in for alignment.
There's not much that can be adjusted. I just do my own because the caster and camber is built into the front axle. Only the toe needs to be adjusted and this is easily done with a tape measure. I'm running around 3/16" toe with 33" tires.
FWIW, I did make tapered shims as I've mentioned on a few posts to give me a bit more caster. Stock is around 3 degrees, but I increased this to around 6 1/2 degrees. This made the truck much more stable, and the steering centers itself much better after doing a turn.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Spf79

Quote:
There's not much that can be adjusted. I just do my own because the caster and camber is built into the front axle. Only the toe needs to be adjusted and this is easily done with a tape measure. I'm running around 3/16" toe with 33" tires.
FWIW, I did make tapered shims as I've mentioned on a few posts to give me a bit more caster. Stock is around 3 degrees, but I increased this to around 6 1/2 degrees. This made the truck much more stable, and the steering centers itself much better after doing a turn.
Is that toe in or toe out? I did the shims in a CJ5, still can't get that comfortable to drive over 45/50 mph. I think I should have done a 2" rather than a 4" on the jeep. I ran a 4" lift in a 74 blazer with 33's and it drove well. Did you drive your and then adjust shims? Or shim it straight out the gate?

Pic of the old white knuckle CJ below.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
Is that toe in or toe out? I did the shims in a CJ5, still can't get that comfortable to drive over 45/50 mph. I think I should have done a 2" rather than a 4" on the jeep. I ran a 4" lift in a 74 blazer with 33's and it drove well. Did you drive your and then adjust shims? Or shim it straight out the gate?

Pic of the old white knuckle CJ below.
There's no shims on a solid front axle like our Blazers, and the Jeep is the same. The 3/16" toe in is adjusted by rotating the steering link that connects your tie-rod ends. I drive my Blazer at the speed of traffic and there's no problem cruising at 75 MPH.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Spf79

Quote:
There's no shims on a solid front axle like our Blazers, and the Jeep is the same. The 3/16" toe in is adjusted by rotating the steering link that connects your tie-rod ends. I drive my Blazer at the speed of traffic and there's no problem cruising at 75 MPH.
I'm following you on the toe, I just didn't understand if I should go in or out . The CJ I had given up on and took to a 4wd shop in my area that shall remain unamed. They shimmed the axle so that it rotated the front of the Dana up and the rear yoke down. Similar to the shims on the rear axle, these are bolted into the spring pack. Also they put a track bar in the front. It goes down the road a lot better than it did, but squirrelly above 45 or so. I thought about a rear sway bar, but never got around to it since it is mainly used as a cruiser around town. I'm glad to hear you are cruising at 75 no problem. The Jeep issues are why I am making sure to get the sway bars installed and pay a little extra attention to the suspension.