The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
rkleypas

Sealing off floor vents

Anyone removed the flapper and sealed off the floor vents on their cab? The cowl is off my truck, and I can easily cut them off and weld a flat panel over them. I plan to run Vintage Air, so I don't think that will cause a problem. Anything I am forgetting?
rkleypas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
lutronjim

Re: Sealing off floor vents

Not sure your model but in my 70 c10 the vintage air does nor provide any outside air.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
RMBLFSH

The vintage air kit comes with a block-off plate for the passenger side. Maybe just order a second one, and use it on the drivers side.
RMBLFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Shinysideup

Why not at least leave the driver side vent for fresh air when you want it? I have also noticed that when windows are down having the cowl vents open greatly reduces the wind buffering from the windows. I am leaving mine and also have the Vintage Air.
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleypas View Post
Anyone removed the flapper and sealed off the floor vents on their cab? The cowl is off my truck, and I can easily cut them off and weld a flat panel over them. I plan to run Vintage Air, so I don't think that will cause a problem. Anything I am forgetting?
Yes. I sealed up (welded actually) both sides in my truck. As has been stated, the Vintage Air does not use air from the cowl. I had mine apart, and made sure there was no rust in the air box, and made sure the drains (triangles that drain water into the fender area) were open, and coated with POR 15. I then just welded the inside up; and that's been that. I'll try to post a picture, but I've had zero issues.

Last note, I did weld in a panel from Scott's that makes the cowl smooth and sealed. So, no water or leaves, or anything else entering the cowl area. I just thought that was smart for long term rust prevention. Not sure how it would work if you kept that open... Just food for thought.

Thanks,
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
rvrfoot

I have a 66 c10 took the right off. For the air i will be doing the same on the driver side. I am going to make a plate and bolt them on. So if i sell the truck someone can replace them if need to be.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

The problem with welding them is you burn off the paint on the inside of the vent and have no way to recoat it. If your truck sees rain the back sides of those welds get wet. Better to attach the plates with seam sealer and maintain the integrity of the paint inside the vent.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
rkleypas

Thanks guys. I’d love to see better pics of the ones that are sealed up. Not sure what the part from Scott’s is that someone mentioned to make the cowl smooth.
rkleypas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkleypas View Post
Thanks guys. I’d love to see better pics of the ones that are sealed up. Not sure what the part from Scott’s is that someone mentioned to make the cowl smooth.
It's simply a cowl filler panel. Cut out the slots, and weld in the new panel. Same shape as the cowl. You could do it with sheet metal, but I prefer having it the same shape as it takes less work and body filler. I'll try to post up pictures.
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote