The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
LH Lead-Foot

Re: 67C10 no drop, 5.3L truck LS oil pan ok?

My reference to "Others have done this" is LS1nova, who has a great deal of work in this area. One he thing he mentioned is warning chimes. When not using the OEM radio, I bought a $38 radio interface that comes with OEM radio connector. It uses power, ground and serial data the BCM sends for warnings. The rate of the warning chime falls into 4 speeds and uses the OEM left front speaker. This module provides it's own speaker, plugs right in with correct color wires and is intended for an aftermarket radio, using the OEM wiring as found in the donor vehicle. Having this tone generator, creates a warning for leaving the turn signals on while driving, door ajar, key-in, door open, lights on, etc. The advantages of using the OEM BCM has advantages like if you fabricate brackets to hold micro-switches, key-in signal (This and power modes are the hardest), but will also have "Lock-out-Prevention". Say What???
Well, if the key is in the ignition, engine off and you open the door, this ends advertant power which keeps items of your choice powered when off. But if you hit the lock button, it will create a warning chime, then in-lock the doors to keep you from locking for a coat hanger. It all cool. Also, the after market sells a simple module using the OEM key fobs, if you push lock 3 times, it will start the vehicle. That's a brand MPC that runs about $130. I am lucky to have GM eSi for wiring all of these parts to function.
The BCM uses ground to control relays and ground for most inputs, so it makes it easy to control what you want on a low current circuit. The design of placing relays/fuse under the hood, left side dash and under the rear seat, is the best practices of engineering to place these items as close to the devices they control. Reducing wire, weight and length of run which equal voltage drop, is greatly reduced. Heat & vibration damage a battery quicker than any environment, but placing it in the floor, behind or under a seat, most techs have told me the battery will last 8-10 years or more. There is a reason for many things...and some are good.