The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: The Brown Turd

Your truck is looking really nice! I found this place that sells the gas doors.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Doors/Ul...Fd66wAod6sQOoA
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Thebrownturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Your truck is looking really nice! I found this place that sells the gas doors.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Doors/Ul...Fd66wAod6sQOoA
Thanks Ill check it out.
Thebrownturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
Thebrownturd

Its been a while so here is the what I've been working on lately.

Winter 18-19:
I pulled out the transmission and attempted a rebuild in my dad's garage. It went fairly well other than being super cold but, that is what insulated catharrt bibs were invented for.
I cleaned and painted the housing. All of the clutched inside the tranny were toast and it was only a matter of time before there was nothing left. Not to mention, I had found out that a few large chunks of metal casting had come off of the shift rod where it contacts the pawl, near the spring end, and had been floating around the tranny for some time.
I pulled a bunch of funky work done on the valve body and reset everything back to stock configuration minus a shift kit. I ended up needing to buy a new drum/input shaft since a chunk of that metal got stuck behind a thrust washer and chewed a bunch of the bearing surface off the drum.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thebrownturd; 03-27-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
Thebrownturd

End of summer 18:

NP 205 rebuild. It was such grease ball that I had no idea what an NP 205 looked like until after 2 days of soaking and wire brushing in a tub with a few gallons of degreaser and water. New paint, bearings, seals, ect. and a clear coat to hopefully prevent rust and make cleaning easier in the future.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
Thebrownturd

Spring 19: I had been chasing down a vibration that was getting pretty bay while driving. Had the rear drive line checked due a small dent in the middle. Guys at the shop said it still looked good and I had it balanced. I also had to get the front drive shaft stub replaced since it was also shot. Still had a vibration. All the wheels had recently been balanced rear bearings replaced a few years back so I was stumped.

Fall 19: I ended up putting the truck on jack stands to look at the front end. That was the one spot on the truck I had never touched other than the lift springs. I found s that the pass wheel hub nut had backed of and the hub had enough play to rub the back of the on the knuckle studs. This created a seal failure and all the wheel grease had obvious been compromised by water and metal shavings. As I pulled the front drums off they were in bad shape so I decided I would rebuild front end. I ended up buying an axle out of a early mid 70's chevy that had disc breaks. You see where I'm going with this.

Last edited by Thebrownturd; 03-27-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Thebrownturd

Winter 19: I wanted to use the original axle but it had drums what were pretty beat inside and also the small shafts and joints. I tore it apart cleaned and painted. The ball joints were absolutely shot. That and the pass wheel bearing was probably my where my vibration was coming from. It was driving me so crazy that I logged vibration frequencies with my phone and had determined that the frequency matched that of a revolution of the axle shaft. I just assumed rear end and had not considered the front. At the time, it had made sense because that is where the vibration "sounded" like it was coming from. oops.

The axle I picked up ended up having the shafts chewed up near the inner seals and would in no way be able to create seal ever again. I had to but new axle shafts and the drive line shop put in some new u joints. After many more cold nights in an uninstalled loafing shed, in the dark, with a headlamp, I finally got an acceptable contact pattern. I used doner axle knuckles, backing plates, and spindles on the drum axle housing since it was in a little better shape.

Spring Break 20: After a few months I finally just put it all back together and got off the stands. I made new 3/16" hard brake line and new 1/4" line up to passenger frame, installed new master, prop valve, braided steel lines to wheels, rotors, studs, calipers. No leaks so far! New steering box since I had lots of play in the steering wheel earlier even after new tie rods and drag links 2 years ago.

This was easily my most costly project yet. At least its all important stuff.

Last edited by Thebrownturd; 03-27-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Thebrownturd

A few pics
Attached Images