The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2019, 03:11 AM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 292 Intake Port Questions

That's how it was explained to me, about 45 years ago. No one was enthusistic about using it anyway. Too late now.
No more A.I.R. and I don't miss it.
Apparently A.I.R. is still a debatable subject.
If I still lived in California, I'd be required to keep it. I don't.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
That's how it was explained to me, about 45 years ago. No one was enthusistic about using it anyway. Too late now.
No more A.I.R. and I don't miss it.
Apparently A.I.R. is still a debatable subject.
If I still lived in California, I'd be required to keep it. I don't.
Your truck is exempt from inspection in California, as is any vehicle produced before the 1976 year model. I see vehicles all the time with the AIR equipment gone and plugs in the ports in the manifolds or heads. If they were less than 25 years old, then yes indeed the requirement was to reinstall the equipment, a waiver could be had for those people who were unable to pay for that due to low income. I wrote waivers occasionally back in the day. For a '75 model year vehicle, the last year for inspection would have been 2000. California stopped the rolling drop off at 2001, so '76 model year and newer vehicles still get inspected biennially.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Motorfist

I had a few of the tubes slide right out and some would wiggle but not easily come out. A small angled pry bar wanted to bend them and not remove them.
So, I grabbed a phillips head screw driver with a shaft diameter just a bit larger than the tube I.D. and gently tapped it in to a stuck tube until it was wedged in. I was then able to just unscrew them out of the holes but turning the screw driver handle.

I got the manifolds reinstalled last night and hope to get some time to work on putting it back together today or tomorrow and a quick test drive before swapping the HEI in with the help if Shifty's thread.

You guys have bene very helpful, thanks!

Josh
72 K10 LWB Rust Bucket Hunting Truck
Motorfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Your truck is exempt from inspection in California, as is any vehicle produced before the 1976 year model. I see vehicles all the time with the AIR equipment gone and plugs in the ports in the manifolds or heads. If they were less than 25 years old, then yes indeed the requirement was to reinstall the equipment, a waiver could be had for those people who were unable to pay for that due to low income. I wrote waivers occasionally back in the day. For a '75 model year vehicle, the last year for inspection would have been 2000. California stopped the rolling drop off at 2001, so '76 model year and newer vehicles still get inspected biennially.
Oddly enough my '68 still requires an emissions inspection for registration each year in Arizona. Any vehicle '67 or later. No drop off. I usually pass with the L6, sometimes I have to change out the Jets and needles in my AFB type carb to a leaner setting. [Then after passing, dial it back up for performance.] I had a 454 in a '67 K/10 Suburban, that was a beast to get thru emissions. The 350 in my '71 Jimmy was usually a Bad Boy too. I found a loophole -- by getting a Year-Of-Manufacture license plate, AND collector car insurance, the truck becomes emissions exempt. I have a Yellow/Black 1971 [69-72] AZ plate for the GMC. It's also a cheaper reg fee. I have also acquired a White/Black [66-68] AZ plate from a board member. I could use it either on my '68 which is a daily driver, or use in on the '67 Suburban when I rebuild that.[But not the 454.]

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

OK, I only know the California rules. Sucks to have to do the '68!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
Motorfist

Well the truck is running much better now 👍🏻

After I removed the old AIR tubes I cleaned everything up and installed the new manifold gasket and manifolds. I then drove the truck just to see if that would make any improvements and nothing noticeable. The gasket needed replaced and everything needed properly reinstalled and it’s good to have that checked off the list. Also repaired the temp sending unit wire that was damaged.

Started the HEI swap but Had to take a break for a week for family stuff. I was able to get back out there today and finish it up and the truck runs sooo much smoother! I forgot to order a distributor gasket so it’s leaking a little oil there but will get that handled tomorrow when the parts store opens back up.

Thanks for you help gents, I really appreciate the advice!

Now, to see if I can adjust the clutch so it has more use than at the very end of the pedal release...
72 K10 LWB Rust Bucket Hunting Truck
Motorfist is offline   Reply With Quote