The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
big_dan

Re: 53 3100 - complete rebuild and upgrade . . . .

Ok, rear suspension. Again, Scott's Hot Rods stuff, standard 4 link with torsion sway bar and coil overs. Got all my angles/ ride height/ etc. dialed in and tacked it in heavy. Won't fully weld it in until everything (shocks, panhard, sway bar, step notch) is located and where I want it. It's mocked up at ride height. Bars are parallel and running downhill to the front of the truck about 1 degree. And no, the axle isn't touching the frame, but about 1/8" off. We'll get it some room pretty soon.

Dan
Attached Images

big_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
big_dan

Talking Re: 53 3100 - complete rebuild and upgrade . . . .

I guess I should take a minute and explain the plan here since I forgot in my first post.

Starting at the bottom - no air bags, full suspension travel with about 5 inches at the running boards. Scott's suspension all around, with coilovers and power wilwood discs at all 4 corners. Pondering on the possibility of using a hydra boost setup, just not sure yet. I pulled a tape for a few days before ordering the suspension; front and rear track width is 58". Front wheels will be 18x8 with 245/40's and rear 20x10 with 275/40's, I'll dial in exact back space once I set the body on. Plan is currently for Detroit smoothies, but I'm not 100% committed to that yet.

Body should be fairly simple, but we want to get the factory trim back on it and a few other body mods. I'd really like to take the time and hammer out new running boards to eliminate the gap at the front of the board, and I'd like to swap in either a 57 Bel Air or 59 Impala dash; depends on time I guess. Heat, defrost, delete vent windows, functioning cowl vent again, power wipers, maybe some Studebaker trim rings, and I have a few plans for the bumpers I won't discuss yet. It'll either stay red or I'll shoot it the gunmetal grey of the falcon in the background.

I've got a fresh 5.3/4l60 waiting, but I'd like to go with a warmed over 6.0 if one pops up.

And a trailer hitch. .

That about sums it up - more later -

Dan
Old 08-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
big_dan

So this should about get us up to present day.

When I picked up my Scott's suspension I had him throw in step notches also. That saved me a little fab time, and their stuff is top- notch. So, drug out the sawhorses and pulled a tape till I decided on what width I would go with. Once we had that dimension, I clamped the notches in position then squared then and leveled then to each other. I used some 11 ga 1x2 box tube and tacked them together to keep us in spec then started the positioning. Once we're trimmed and welded in, I'll shoot for about 6" from the bottom of the notch to the axle, then shocks, sway bar and panhard bar.

It'll slow down a bit now as we're up to date, but I'll try to keep plugging along!

On a side note, some of you may be aware Scott's Hot Rods moved from Cali to Knoxville a while back. Since that's 45 minutes away, I took advantage of the opportunity and took a tour and got to know the place a little when I ordered my suspension. Outstanding shop, all American made, very cool, super talented people. I highly recommend their stuff.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
oldman3

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dan View Post

I'd really like to take the time and hammer out new running boards to eliminate the gap at the front of the board,
Dan, I'm sure with you talent, you could build some great running boards. I also didn't like the gap at the front, but I used the stock boards and added to the front. Here's a few shot of how I did mine. If you current boards are in good shape this could be another way...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
oldman3

a few more
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
big_dan

Oldman3 -

That looks slick; I definitely like it. My current running boards are fiberglass reproductions, so I'm not sure what exact direction I'll go yet, either glass or sheetmetal. Still in the pondering stage currently - but thanks for the pics!

Dan
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
MiraclePieCo

I'm digging the Falcon too. Love those 64-65s! I once owned a midnight blue one with side pipes.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:10 AM   #8
big_dan

Talking Re: 53 3100 - complete rebuild and upgrade . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I'm digging the Falcon too. Love those 64-65s! I once owned a midnight blue one with side pipes.
That 65 was the first project I completed that was 100% what I wanted - no compromises. That's why it took 6 years to finish. Not sure how this forum works being a new guy, but I can give a few details sometime if it's allowed.

Thanks for looking -

Dan